Question New system sometimes slows down/hiccups and then monitors turn off

Sep 5, 2020
Trying my luck with a thread here as I don't really find descriptions that are similar :(.

I just upgraded everything apart from my graphics card and hard drives. After a few days of 0 issues I now had the following behavior on two consecutive days:

1. While just browsing or watching videos, the browser and mouse freeze all of a sudden.
  2. After a very short time, the system reacts to the mouse movements again, but it's extremely slow and a popup appears that my browser has stopped working
  3. I sometimes get chances to move the mouse and can also e.g. open a folder and after a few seconds it would open, but everything seems as if the system has hiccups
  4. After some more seconds, the monitors start to turn black

Afterwards I can't do anything but restart. All is well again when doing that. Temperatures are looking good and I somehow never had these crashes when gaming. It's almost like the system is too bored or something...

UserBenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33250253

CPU: Ryzen 3900XT with Noctua NH-D15 in black
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Ram: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
SSD/HDD: Samsung 860 QVO 2TB SSD, WDC WD20EARX-008FB0 2TB (old)
GPU: Gainward RTX 2060 SUPER Ghost (old)
PSU: Corsair RM850x

Any ideas what this could potentially be? I'm pretty lost because it's not just a hard freeze or anything like that. This happened once yesterday and once today.

Sep 5, 2020
did you do a fresh os install?
test with the hdd unplug?
check the ssd health with samsung magician?

I kept everything as-is, so no fresh OS install, I'm continuing to use what I did before.

I take it then that you think the most likely culprit is a hard drive? I was kind of excluding them because they were taken over from my old system, but in that case I might have to do some further checks...

I can't really test with the hdd unplugged because it contains data I need, but I could run some tests over it if it might be the issue. Just installed the Samsung magician software as well and did a quick test at least, all seems fine there. I took the opportunity to update the Firmware though, you never know.

Thanks!