Question New system unable to boot anything

Oct 22, 2019
Purchased a new system and assembled the build together, but have had nothing but trouble when it comes to actually doing achieving anything with it. The system boots into BIOS fine and I can see everything there, but when it comes to booting up memtest or a Windows 10 bootable flash drive, I can't get either of them running. Both instances show up in the BIOS as a boot device. I did get the Windows 10 bootable drive to come up a handful of times early on, but it froze on "'setup is starting"' (after selection of language, etc), other times when the bootable Windows drive fired up I had no mouse or keyboard avail to make selections. Every time I try the results seem to get worse and worse. Now all I can get is the blank blue screen or the circles of dots freezes while attempting to enter Windows 10 setup. I can't get memtest to boot up at all.

I have tried:
  • disabling Legacy USB Support in the USB Config settings
  • enabling CSM in the Boot settings so I could set storage devices as UEFI only (disabling all other bootable sources)
  • inserting each RAM stick individually
..... but to no avail. Tearing my hair out now and starting to think I have a DoA component on my hands. Anything else I should be trying and what's likely at fault if it is a HW issue?

System components are as follows:
MB: ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING
CPU: Intel Core i7 9700
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (DDR4 3200MHz) - note currently running at 2133MHz as default in BIOS (tried enabling XMP for 3200MHz but no change in behaviour)
SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 NVMe 1TB
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C

Last edited: