Question New System....what CPU, etc, etc?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I need to build a new system; my current one (i7-3770) is really slow loading photos in Lightroom. Also, the few games I play are not stable.

I was thinking of waiting till next Zen is available, but I seem to recall that Adobe products work best with Intel CPUs....maybe I am wrong, though. My budget is really whatever it takes; oh, and I should mention that I have upgraded a few components over the past 6 months or so including:

• GPU: GTX 1070 ti (overclocked)
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W
  • Case: FD Define R6

I am seeking advice for CPU, MB, RAM (16MB). I do intend a mild overclock of the CPU and perhaps RAM.

I intend to purchase a 500GB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe for W10 clean install and applications, and a 1TB for data...also for a CPU cooler I was thinking of a Scythe Mugen 5, or ????

Not sure if I missed anything.....thanks for the help.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Adobe products do significantly favor intel unfortunately. You will have to pay more for a simmilar amount of cores as ryzen. How much do you want so spend? A 8700x or 9900k system may suit you well. A ryzen 5 2600 is the best value cpu right now, however because of the ryzen issue with adobe i would get one of the above.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($153.42 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $633.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-16 13:26 EST-0500

Thanks for the reply.....and recommendations.

A couple of questions: Why an 8700K and not a 9700K?
Also, regarding MB, please explain why the choice so I can learn......
Is the cooler I chose good enough?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
A little cheaper on the CPU $50.00 , Midrange board , don't want to go too cheap with a great CPU. Scythe is a decent cooler. I prefer the Noctua NH-U9S.

Ah....got it....How is the bios? I've read that Gigabyte has great VRMs and power delivery, but poor bios....is MSI decent in both? If anything I would rather get a little better MB than I 'need' so as to avoid problems down the road......

I'll go with the Noctua......

I noticed that you suggested 3200 speed RAM....is this for overclocking?

Again, Thanks!

Also, do you agree with storage solution I listed in original post?
I went with the Plus versions as they are about the same price and a LOT faster......