[SOLVED] New system with old PSU and GPU crashing in games

yeetware

Commendable
Dec 18, 2018
I upgraded to a intel system from a amd FX system, i decided to keep all my drives, graphics card and power supply, so the only thing different is the motherboard, the CPU and the RAM.

Now i dont know why but every time i try to play a game it crashes within 30 minutes, Ive tried DOOM, GTAV, Overwatch and minecraft and all the same crashes.

Ive tried different drivers and DDU to fresh install them. Ive Tested the RAM individually and in different slots, Ive cleaned the card and refitted it. still crashes.

It makes no sense to me how my Graphics card is crashing on this new system, and i dont know what to do. Should i claim my warranty on it and get a better card? I am all out of ideas.

New PC spec:
i5 6600 with hyper 212
16GB ddr4 ram 4x4
GTX 670 (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/palit-gtx-670.b1790 )
ASUS z170 pro
Thermaltake TR2 S 600W PSU

Old PC spec: FX 6300 OC @4.1ghz with hyper 212
16GB ddr3 ram 4x4
GTX 670 (Same card)
GA-970A-D3 rev 1.1
Thermaltake TR2 S 600W PSU (Same PSU)

Solution
All I will add, is this is an awful quality PSU. So this could well be the culprit. And depending on how long you've had it, you'll probably want to upgrade this whether it is causing your problem or not.

Can you go into detail on the exact crash you are having, is it full system crash? BSOD? Crash to desktop?
Do you have latest motherboard/chipset drivers installed from here: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z170-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Have you monitored GPU temperatures under load?
Have you monitored individual CPU cores under load?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
All I will add, is this is an awful quality PSU. So this could well be the culprit. And depending on how long you've had it, you'll probably want to upgrade this whether it is causing your problem or not.

Can you go into detail on the exact crash you are having, is it full system crash? BSOD? Crash to desktop?
Do you have latest motherboard/chipset drivers installed from here: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z170-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

Solution

yeetware

Commendable
Dec 18, 2018

The PSU i wanted to get rid of for a while now anyway.
Latest bios is installed
GPU get to around 85c under full load (This is normal)
CPU can reach 60c if i torture it but usually hovers around 50c
My case isnt exactly the best for airflow but i am getting a new one soon.

The crashes range from the game giving me an error message to straight up locking up the PC and needs a forced shutdown.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Cooling doesn't seem to be a problem then. And are those CPU temps the individual cores or the whole package? As individual cores give more detail, just often depending on the software used, it reports the hottest core as the overall package.

Does the problem only occur under load or can it happen any time?
Are you running any overclock anywhere at all?
Do you have latest MB/Chipset drivers installed (and any other drivers for that matter)?

yeetware

Commendable
Dec 18, 2018
Cooling doesn't seem to be a problem then. And are those CPU temps the individual cores or the whole package? As individual cores give more detail, just often depending on the software used, it reports the hottest core as the overall package.

Does the problem only occur under load or can it happen any time?
Are you running any overclock anywhere at all?
Do you have latest MB/Chipset drivers installed (and any other drivers for that matter)?

Everything is stock speeds, CPU temps are per core and it hovers around 50c
I did download some chipset driver package from ASUS but idk if it did anything.

I tried it in a different PC, was fine, i swapped my PSU out for a Corsair one, still crashes

I am gonna try a fresh install of windows, Hopefully this works instead.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS