[SOLVED] New system won’t stay on

Pi-Face

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
I just completed a new build but something seems to be wrong, when I plug the PC the motherboard and fans work for two seconds and then I get a light on the graphics card, then everything shuts down, except for said light in the GPU

Specs:

Ryzen 5 5600X
GTX 1660 Super
AsRock B550 Steel Legend
1TB M.2 SSD XPG SX6000
1TB HDD
16x2 DDR4 RAM at 3600
EVGA 500W 80 plus

I made sure to connect the longest PSU connector and the specific CPU 4 pin connectors to the motherboard as specified on the manual, then the PCIE to the GPU.

Once the PC turns off the power and reset buttons don’t seem to work

Any suggestions? And thanks in advance

Solution
EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 500W is the wattage, what is the model of the unit? If I were you, I'd have gotten a 550W unit at the very least or something at 650W for the headroom. Can you look at the sticker on the BIOS chip to see what BIOS version your motherboard came shipped with? In these instances, it's a good idea to parse images(links to them at the least) of how you connected the system to their respective inputs.

I made sure to connect the longest PSU connector and the specific CPU 4 pin connectors
Per the motherboard manual, here, you should be connecting to 8-pin ATX12V1, not the 4-pin ATX12V2 which is an optional input in case you want to overclock on the platform.

Lutfij

Titan
EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 500W is the wattage, what is the model of the unit? If I were you, I'd have gotten a 550W unit at the very least or something at 650W for the headroom. Can you look at the sticker on the BIOS chip to see what BIOS version your motherboard came shipped with? In these instances, it's a good idea to parse images(links to them at the least) of how you connected the system to their respective inputs.

I made sure to connect the longest PSU connector and the specific CPU 4 pin connectors
Per the motherboard manual, here, you should be connecting to 8-pin ATX12V1, not the 4-pin ATX12V2 which is an optional input in case you want to overclock on the platform.

Solution

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
Did you BIOS flash it to Revision 1.40? You need to flash to that before you'll be able to install a 5000 series CPU.

If your board shipped with 1.10, you can install the cpu and get it to post, then install the bios version from the bios menu.

If not, you'll either need an older AM4 Cpu or get a store to flash it for you.

Also your motherboard draws power from the 8pin connector, the additional 4 pin is for extra voltage for overclocking

Last edited:

Pi-Face

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
Thanks for the replies, it is appreciated

The manual that came with the motherboard for some reason has some different wording than the one online, and didn’t state that the extra 4 pin slot was optional.

Either way, I got the system checked by my local tech, and after testing each component separately it seems like the motherboard is faulty, it didn’t with a 3000 series with APU either (We couldn’t even get to the BIOS), so I will go to the store I bought it from and see if I can get a replacement.

Will definitely consider getting a slightly more robust PSU along the way.

Cheers!