[SOLVED] New system wont boot with a drive powered.

ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Hi guys, so im currently building my friend a pc using some of my old parts due to me upgrading. Everything was okay until i connect a drive, with sata connected the pc will still power on, as soon as i plug a lead from the psu into the drive, the system wont power up. The motherboard, ram, cpu, cooler and motherboard was from my rig which i was using literally no more that 20 hours ago. Really need some help on this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks - Matty

Just to clarify, since there was a mixture of old/new in a rebuild...

Do NOT mix modular cables from one PSU with another, as they (95% of the time) will almost certainly have different pinouts at the PSU's insertion points, which can lead to disastrous results for components so connected...

If you are sure this does not apply, you can test another drive in the rig in question, or, test the questionable drive in another rig....; if it seems failed there too, it likely is.... (for whatever reason..)

Reactions: ThatGhilliedGuy

ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Just to clarify, since there was a mixture of old/new in a rebuild...

Do NOT mix modular cables from one PSU with another, as they (95% of the time) will almost certainly have different pinouts at the PSU's insertion points, which can lead to disastrous results for components so connected...

If you are sure this does not apply, you can test another drive in the rig in question, or, test the questionable drive in another rig....; if it seems failed there too, it likely is.... (for whatever reason..)
Okay noted on the cables didn’t realise that was a thing if im honest, since ive seen sleeved cables etc but thats just my ignorance. The drive tested was brand new, and also tested with a ssd from another build. So im at a dead end on where to go now?

ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Okay have my brothers pc working. quickly disconnected the drive he had installed and tested both the ssd and hdd that i tried originally. The ssd works fine however the hdd isnt even recognised. Im guessing its goosed? But now i dont know what to do about the psu issue.