Question New System Wont Boot

Jan 23, 2022
Built a system yesterday. All the fans turn on, everything lights up, but the monitor shows no signal. Reseated the ram, made sure everything was plugged in properly and I had no luck. The closest I got was it booting up for one second on my montior, then going black.

I have noticed that my PSU has a whine when plugged in and it gets a lot louder when fully turned on. Im assuming coil whine, but I dont know if that would affect power output.
Specs
Ryzen 5 5600x
16gb TForce ram (3200 mHz)
Asrock B550 Phantom ITX
Asus TUFF RTX 3060ti 8gb
EVGA sfx 650 GM

Any help would be apperciated!

Jan 23, 2022
Just replaced 5600x with my old 2200g. Still not POSTing. Tried shorting the CMOS switch and reseating ram again. Still not working

Despite this my PSU stopped whining as loudly. Still there when plugged in, but not at all when turned on

Jan 23, 2022
Update : tried it again today. The PSU is making the same sound again. Very faint, but it is possible there is a short, causing the pc to not POST?

All the fans turn on, everything lights up, but the monitor shows no signal.
The PSU is making the same sound again. Very faint, but it is possible there is a short, causing the pc to not POST?
I doubt. If there was a short circuit standing, you wouldn't be able to spin the fans.

However, despite that, one cannot rule out the following scenarios:
  • Very short lived short circuit in either mobo or gpu, causing out-of-control voltage spike and thus secondary faults on other components.
  • Faulty PSU, if it for some reason cannot deliver enough power or cause unstable voltage then it can cause issues.
  • Assuming you have used the stand-offs under the motherboard ?

Jan 23, 2022
Had to check, the standoffs were preinstalled into the case (didn't remember putting them in... that is why)

I took apart my old computer and used my new PSU to see if it turned on and it worked perfectly fine. Did the same thing with my ram. The only other part that didnt work was my motherboard, so Im returning it.

Thank you for all the help! Means a lot

Reactions: Grobe
Jan 23, 2022
Got my replacement motherboard. System still wont post. Made sure to check that it wasnt the graphics card by using the motherboard's HDMI. Wont boot either. At this point I am at a loss of what I can do to troubleshoot and/or fix it. Any suggestions would be greatly apperciated

Few thoughts:
550 mobos can be very sensitive to minor details on first boot. Details matter. For example, some of them won't do first boot unless monitor is connected by HDMI cable.
The fact that RAM works with old mobo means nothing, as it can still be not compatible with new one. Ryzen are very picky about this so make sure your RAM is on QVL list for your CPU.
Made sure to check that it wasnt the graphics card by using the motherboard's HDMI.
I hope you did that with 2200g installed, because 5600 has no iGPU so it would not work.

Reactions: Grobe