[SOLVED] New system

KristoT7

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Hello!

I am building a new system the parts are already on their way.
But a troubling thought occurred to me. I am planning to keep using my relatively new ( 4-5 months ) hard drive and my SSD and swap out everything else.
Do i need to do a fresh Windows install since i am getting a different motherboard? Or because of the bios boot and current OS unfamiliarity with new system specs would i need a new install?
If there is no OS on the HDD can i keep using that without formating?

Kind regards,
Kristo

Solution
You can keep using the HDD as long as you're not booting into an OS on it no problem. It's effectively plug and play.
The SSD with your OS is a 50/50 bet - but you'll likely find that when you boot, it will work initially, then the OS will deactivate and act as if it's non-genuine.
Best practice is to clean install the OS. And frankly, this is always the option I choose and it comes with added benefits.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You can keep using the HDD as long as you're not booting into an OS on it no problem. It's effectively plug and play.
The SSD with your OS is a 50/50 bet - but you'll likely find that when you boot, it will work initially, then the OS will deactivate and act as if it's non-genuine.
Best practice is to clean install the OS. And frankly, this is always the option I choose and it comes with added benefits.

Reactions: KristoT7
Solution