[SOLVED] new system

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Hi there,
Im building a new system for my sons gaming,it will be a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 system,i already have a 34inch widescreen with 3440 x 1440 res
my son generally plays roblox and minecraft,he does not play games with heavy graphics,my budget is limited so i was wondering what graphics card someone can recomend.
im considering buying a second hand card lpossibly a previous generation card.
any advice is much appreciated thanks.

Solution
Graphics cards today are fully priced.
No thanks to cryptominers.
A used GTX1050ti goes for $200 or so on ebay.
Consider using a i5-11400 with integrated xe730 graphics for starters.
The price is comparable.
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-11400-core-i5-11th-gen/p/N82E16819118241
Here is a review:
If you check the 10 game average performance, it beats out the 3600.
A step up would be the i5-11500 with a stronger HD750 graphics:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-11500-core-i5-11th-gen/p/N82E16819118240

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
If the games he will be playing aren’t very graphics intensive you could settle for an apu instead, since gpu prices are still quite high.

a gtx 1050 ti would also be good enough.

Graphics cards today are fully priced.
No thanks to cryptominers.
A used GTX1050ti goes for $200 or so on ebay.
Consider using a i5-11400 with integrated xe730 graphics for starters.
The price is comparable.
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-11400-core-i5-11th-gen/p/N82E16819118241
Here is a review:
If you check the 10 game average performance, it beats out the 3600.
A step up would be the i5-11500 with a stronger HD750 graphics:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-11500-core-i5-11th-gen/p/N82E16819118240

Solution
If you look, I think prices are starting to come down. Look at completed 1050ti cards on eBay the last day or so, still a lot in the 200 range but a few in the 150 range now. Looks like the 980ti is starting to go under 250. A week ago those were 300 or more. I know this because I was considering buying one, but ended up purchasing a 1070 instead.

They are old but if you had the power supply and could get a deal I’d consider a 980ti. I think those are close to a 1070 performance wise, as old as they are, for 1080p 60fps they should still be a beast I would imagine.

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
If you look, I think prices are starting to come down. Look at completed 1050ti cards on eBay the last day or so, still a lot in the 200 range but a few in the 150 range now. Looks like the 980ti is starting to go under 250. A week ago those were 300 or more. I know this because I was considering buying one, but ended up purchasing a 1070 instead.

They are old but if you had the power supply and could get a deal I’d consider a 980ti. I think those are close to a 1070 performance wise, as old as they are, for 1080p 60fps they should still be a beast I would imagine.
I see what you mean,after looking at the performance of the older 970 or 980 against the 1050ti those older cards seems much better.
my power supply is a 650watt evga gold

jasonf2

Distinguished

Be careful when evaluating older cards. What is often overlooked is that the API set for any given card is locked at time of manufacture. So a directx 11 certified card won't be certified for directx 12. With Windows 11 requiring directx 12 certification a whole bunch of these old cards are going to either obsolesce completely or lock the machines they are built on to Windows 10. The API support not only creates this issue but a number of the technologies like DLSS which are relatively new allow the card to utilize resources much better. So even if the flops are the same a current generation card is going to perform better than a 900 series card on newer games. With the current market I would strongly suggest a decent integrated GPU with a good discrete card upgrade path when prices come back down long before buying a used older card. Also on a limited budget today do not overlook Intel. On a mainstream tier they will perform every bit as well a a AMD and while they can be a little power hungry they will also save you a little money.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I’m actually interested to see what gaming cards if any Intel comes up with.
I think it is pretty unlikely that Intel's discrete card lineup is going to perform on Nvidia flagship levels first generation. I do believe if they can get a card out in the very near future that can even perform at the 3060 level (with stable drivers and a reasonable price) it will be a major hit. This is due primarily to the overall shortage environment, not because anyone cares if Intel is in the race. Longer term though the Xe work coupled with the tile packaging is bound to give Intel IP that they disparately need to advance their integrated graphics offerings to "good enough for most not need a discrete graphics cards", and data center focused accelerators. The discrete graphics card market can be lucrative but I think there is a bigger picture in play here. Of course Nvidia's pushback will simply be to make better discrete cards, but it really is a win for the consumer regardless.

Well I think they did actually get the guy who was the head of AMD's graphics department to go over to intel a year or so ago. AMD has really been doing well with integrated graphics, Intel may feel they need to catch up. Long term, you wonder say 5-10 years from now, will discreet graphics cards as we know them be as much of a thing? Look at how far for example they pushed with the Xbox series X. I have a Series S at home, and honestly for 1080p, it is a great little system. High fps and on 1080p, the graphics are pretty good. Will be interesting to see as time goes on the development and if that technology ever comes to normal PC's to where your average system can run crysis for example without a dedicated gpu.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Hi there,
Im building a new system for my sons gaming,it will be a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 system,i already have a 34inch widescreen with 3440 x 1440 res
my son generally plays roblox and minecraft,he does not play games with heavy graphics,my budget is limited so i was wondering what graphics card someone can recomend.
im considering buying a second hand card lpossibly a previous generation card.
any advice is much appreciated thanks.
Get an APU. It is cheaper and more powerful than low end cards like GTX 750TI or GT 1030.

If you want a graphics card anyway, you can get an RX 550.
The graphics card prices are quite high RN, so I would recommend an APU so that no money is wasted.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Well I think they did actually get the guy who was the head of AMD's graphics department to go over to intel a year or so ago. AMD has really been doing well with integrated graphics, Intel may feel they need to catch up. Long term, you wonder say 5-10 years from now, will discreet graphics cards as we know them be as much of a thing? Look at how far for example they pushed with the Xbox series X. I have a Series S at home, and honestly for 1080p, it is a great little system. High fps and on 1080p, the graphics are pretty good. Will be interesting to see as time goes on the development and if that technology ever comes to normal PC's to where your average system can run crysis for example without a dedicated gpu.
Yes discrete graphics will still be a thing in 5 years. Integrated will always be a "good enough" tech compared to dedicated cards primarily because of heat. Dedicated GPUs have the advantage of the surface area and removed location for heat dissipation. Anything they throw in the general vicinity of the CPU die consolidates the heat in a much smaller space and significantly reduces the wattage able to be thrown at both chip areas. So the only reason you integrate is for cost reasons. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't work well for a mass majority of mainstream purposes. It just means that integrated isn't going to performance compete with flagship cards on the same generation.