Question New threadripper build doesn't start. Has to be motherboard or cpu but... (Help)

Jun 12, 2019
Hello all, thanks for taking the time to look at this thread, any advice will be greatly appreciated!

So let's jump into it, I have bought all new components for a computer I'm putting together. I put together a lot of computers so I felt very confident that this would be easy. Here is the parts list:
X399 designare ex
Threadripper 1950X
16GB (2x8) corsair vengeance DDR4 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15),
Less important stuff for the issue (already ruled out working on another build)
M.2
RTX 2070
Ripjaws PSU (850w) platinum.

Now normally I would RMA the board and cpu and move on with everything but the interesting thing is that I already have done that. Twice. I am breedboarding this. All the USB ports receive power. The LED behind the designare logo flashes white for one second. No debug codes. No fan movement. I have reseated the CPU and all cables multiple times (24 pin, 8 pin, 4 pin, yes they are cpu wires not pcie wires) when the graphics card is inserted the lights do turn on for that.

I have no idea what is going on. I really need your guys help with this because I'm at a complete loss.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums Maliam!

Sorry to hear about your problems - please review this guide as a first port of call just to ensure the most important elements are covered: Perform these steps first
Please perform ALL steps even if you have done them already (a triple check really doesn't hurt and saves a lot of potential headache).

Obviously I am assuming you also have a cooler attached to your CPU. (Seems silly but it happens).

What actually happens? Does the PC only retain power for a second then shut off? Does it retain power but you simply get no signal?

As an after thought, if the above guide yields no results and you have completely breadboarded the system with only:
  • MB
  • CPU and Cooler
  • PSU
  • 1 stick of RAM
Obviously you'll have to have GPU seated as there is no integrated graphics.

But you say you have ALREADY returned the MB and CPU for new ones - then I would consider trying just 1 stick of RAM (try both individually) to see if you yield any results or swapping the RAM entirely.
I would then potentially consider swapping the GPU with a known working one to verify if your current GPU simply isn't functioning normally. But obviously this will also depend on your response to the above question.

Jun 12, 2019
So far, nothing has changed. Yes a cpu cooler is attached but not powering on. Followed the guide again with no changes. Ram has been swapped as well. The PC never powers on at all, the led flashes white behind the designare logo on the board once for one second (not when turning the power button on, but when flipping the switch on the psu to the on position)

Pushing the power button itself yeilds no results. Nor the on-board power button. Clearing the cmos also yeilds no response.