Question New to AIO - Instantly regretting the purchase. Advice?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 5, 2019
I thought I'd dabble in water cooling as it's all the rage. So with my newest build I went out and bought a Cooler Master ML240.

Board has headers for AIO/CPU/Chassis 1,2,3. I mounted the radiator on the top with the fans blowing out (Exhaust) and then I mounted 7 internal case fans that run on a separate controller (high/low) 3 in the front sucking in, 3 on the bottom sucking in, 1 at the back blowing out and the 2 connected to the radiator sucking out.

First off, I'm assuming it's working since nothing has caught on fire. I'm running a ryzen 7 2700x and just leaving it at stock temps idle from 35-50 - but they bounce around, I'm not getting consistency - just letting it idle it will go from 31 - 48 and then back down to 34 - then up to 55!~

Gaming it stays around 40, but stressing it using cinebench and the ryzen master stress - tonight I was reading temps of 70 which is by far the highest I've gotten on any cpu which makes me wonder - is my AIO performing? I want to open it up and throw the wraith cooler on there just to see but I'm sure that the wraith is going to perform less than what I have now, correct?

Is there something I'm missing? I tried an OC but can't get the ryzen past .08% - using the AI SUITE advanced tuning will only give me that number before shutting down and then heading into fan control.

I thought about doing it by hand (the oc) but I also have OC RAM and I also want to OC the GPU but everytime I OC one of those the whole system shuts down, even a basic userbenchmark run.

Any ideas? It's pretty cool where I live currently 24 and EVERY other piece of equipment in my rig stays nice and cool - even stressing the VEGA 56 it won't break 30.

I'm not sure if this is how AIOs work or are there ways for me to check? I've repasted and reseated 2 times but the effects are the same.

Mar 5, 2019
I actually ditched the cooler master in favor of the deep cool captain 240ex rgb.

Last night after updating bios and GPU I discovered one of my led strips was a different color than all the rest so I'm thinking I have a connector reversed so I opened the case to get at the connection and I immediately felt heat from the top fans (this is after it was powered off) took the wired side panel off and it was warm. Felt around a little bit and was BURNED by the CPU back plate! In all my years of building pcs I never once had a backplate that hot.
I unseated the AIO pump and took off the pad. Got out my arctic silver 5 and reseated the pump.

This had to of been because of the graphite pad. Ya think? I'll get that thermal grizzly paste sometime this week, but yeah tried and true thermal paste, maybe the pad is good for non of builds idk.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Paste for mounted connections, like a cpu, gpu. They have screws that hold the pump/heatsink solid to the component. Pads are for non-secured components that really do not have a viable surface for paste. Things such as the mosfets under a video cards heatsink, the VRM's under the heatsink next to the socket.

Forget about AiSuite. It's a software shortcut that's designed around an average cpu or how an average cpu responds. And there's no leeway. It can only follow its programming. Unfortunately, your cpu isn't average. Neither is mine, or anyone else's. Every cpu is different and responds differently. The only thing I can advise is stop with the quickie fixes, and do some research. So far your pc is owning you, it's dictating the field of play and the rules. Google OC on that cpu. That mobo. Asus ROG forums is full of nothing but ppl OC with both. What they tried, what failed. Go read. Then go own your pc, make it play by your rules.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019
Paste for mounted connections, like a cpu, gpu. They have screws that hold the pump/heatsink solid to the component. Pads are for non-secured components that really do not have a viable surface for paste. Things such as the mosfets under a video cards heatsink, the VRM's under the heatsink next to the socket.

Forget about AiSuite. It's a software shortcut that's designed around an average cpu or how an average cpu responds. And there's no leeway. It can only follow its programming. Unfortunately, your cpu isn't average. Neither is mine, or anyone else's. Every cpu is different and responds differently. The only thing I can advise is stop with the quickie fixes, and do some research. So far your pc is owning you, it's dictating the field of play and the rules. Google OC on that cpu. That mobo. Asus ROG forums is full of nothing but ppl OC with both. What they tried, what failed. Go read. Then go own your pc, make it play by your rules.

I am truly inspired by your post haha! But to be fair, I'm not your typical jump on here ask a silly question and leave. I'm an experienced builder this build will mark my 22nd build and since I have tried new things this time around (AIO, X CPU, etc) I have spent close to three months every single day learning about how AIO coolers work and different mounting configurations, how positive/negative/neutral air pressure is measured, CFM ratings, calculating intake/exhaust, charting out fan placements, cable management styles to maximize case flow. Hell, I even researched every single component I have right down to the M.2 drive regarding temps and placements/heatsinks.

I joined this forum, I joined ROG forums I've looked at OC results regarding CPU/Ram/GPU. I've compared benchmarks with probably close to 50 other similar builds. Seriously, I've done my research.

And then, just when I think I've got it licked and have ALL the proper components. I boot it up and have 79 CPU temp with a simple userbench while literally everything else sits at 30.

So yeah, I thought I'd won, but I didn't. So the war continues.

I will take your advice. I'm going back to old school. When I get home I will uninstall AI Suite and follow this video:
View: https://youtu.be/RZRjoeyz4Z0

And see what I can get. My question though is should I set QFan control "Optimize" before I even start OR do a base run, then set fan curves based on idle temps and then start the procedure?

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I've tested some DeepCool AIOs and also not the greatest...they're decent, but like most AIOs....they are almost all the same, you're just buying a different box and the fans look different. Most are very, very, very similar, if not identical.

Mar 5, 2019
Ripped it open and reseated it with Arctic 5 - Ryzen Master showing temps of 30 at idle. Ran userbench just to push and it capped at 51. The voltage is at 1.2 though so lots of headroom to play with I suppose.

Yeah, definitely the pad. I wonder how it would work laying down a thin layer of paste and then placing the pad on top of it? I'm not going to try as now I'm waiting for the Thermal Grizzly to arrive.

Shame about the AIO's honestly. Of course I considered the NXZT and Corsairs that are very popluar, but I am unable to purchase them in my country at a decent price.