Question New to AMD. Looking for direction on Ryzen 7 5800x mobo (and a few other items)

Diggen

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013
As the title states, I'm new to the AMD cpu scene. Build so far:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 (Not super) <- Will probably swap this out next year.

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 750w Modular

Mobo: Help? Looking for something in the $250 or less range. Preferably looking for one with a bios flashback because as I understand it the board I receive may need a bios update?

Ram: Looking at Patriot Viper SS 3600 16gb(2 x 8) yay or nay? Also should I be looking at 2 16gb sticks instead for a little more headroom? The patriot Vipers have plenty of options for total gb's.
Alternate 32gb options - Crucial Ballistix 3600 / G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 / G.Skill Ripjaws V
Worth noting - I don't care about the RGB at all. Might even prefer it without.

Case: Lian-Li Mesh 2 Performance

Cooling: I've read that the 5800x runs a bit hot and can greatly benefit from an AIO cooler. Open to suggestions on this up to 360mm radiator. The Arctic II seems to have solid reviews. Any reason to not get that over the NZXT Krakens?

SSD: 970 EVO Plus x2

Couple old 5400rpm HDD's.

Peripherals:
Keyboard + Mouse
Gamepad - Orbweaver
Desktop Mic
Headphones

Dual Monitors.

Not looking to change any of the peripherals, just listing for components sake.

General use is gaming + some heavier multitasking for work. I play a lot of FPS games but don't mind the occasional RPG and would like them to look nice when I do.

I'm in the states. Trying to keep the mobo purchase around 250 or less if possible.

-Thank you for any assistance-

Andyme177

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
I would go with MSI or Asus, B550 or X570. For the most part all function the same based on cpu ram and drive type. Major differences is number of card slots, data drive connections and wether you want built in wifi.

I used a AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor and an MSI B450 gaming max plus and the on board hdmi. For being lower quality it can play all but a few of the newest games.

My next build is Asus X570 with at least an 8 core ryzen cpu

Diggen

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013
Is there any significant difference I'm missing between these two boards?:

MSI x570 Tomahawk
ASUS TUF Gaming x570-Pro

The Pro seems to be a slightly updated model of the TUF Gaming-Plus. I know it is a bit cheaper (20-30 dollars) but that's not a huge deal and I would like the front usb-c port on my case to work which I don't believe the older Plus has as well as the bios flashback.

TRENDING THREADS