[SOLVED] New to apple, bought an old G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianh82

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
hi all

i have gotten a very cheap mac G5, the silver 20kg beasts.

i am trying to find 10.5 leopard to stick on it but cannot find a torrent, download site that offers it at all. Apple have stopped the free download of it too.

anyone know where i can get a free copy?

also, can i upgrade the innerds of it at all, been told and read its hard or impossible to do.

Solution

Totally incorrect. OS X 10.5 has never been available on the (iTunes) App Store and has never been available as a free download. As the App Store was only available on later versions of OS X 10.6, and thus never for a PPC Mac, there wouldn't have been much point.

You can still buy 10.5 from a lot of retailers, despite the fact that Apple no longer support it, but eBay is the cheapest source. Searching for a copy on a torrent site is a pretty clear indication that you (should) understand that you are looking for a pirated copy.

To repeat, any free download of 10.5 is pirated. The only version of OS X that is "free" is 10.10...
Apple never had a free download of OS X 10.5. It cost in the region of $150. It's not very clever to ask people to help you pirate software on a public forum.

Buy a copy from eBay - make sure it is a retail copy or one intended for your specific model of Mac.

ianh82

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007

i am not asking for pirated software, and apple did give it away free as a download on the itunes store but have recently removed it totally. i just want to know if it's free anywhere else before buying it on ebay. can't buy it anywhere else.

Totally incorrect. OS X 10.5 has never been available on the (iTunes) App Store and has never been available as a free download. As the App Store was only available on later versions of OS X 10.6, and thus never for a PPC Mac, there wouldn't have been much point.

You can still buy 10.5 from a lot of retailers, despite the fact that Apple no longer support it, but eBay is the cheapest source. Searching for a copy on a torrent site is a pretty clear indication that you (should) understand that you are looking for a pirated copy.

To repeat, any free download of 10.5 is pirated. The only version of OS X that is "free" is 10.10, and that is only free to those who own the appropriate model of Mac. A G5 model wouldn't qualify. All other versions are still chargeable items, although the price decreased sharply after 10.5.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.