Build Advice New to building. Help!

Apr 30, 2020
I am new to building and just trying to learn as I go. I helped my dad my dad get some files off a computer he used to have, so I kept the computer for free. It was my goal to upgrade it enough to be decent enough at gaming to run whenever I have time to hop on for a little bit. I remembered it running games pretty smoothly, so I thought it would be fairly simple, though now thinking about it, that was in 2010. I have a newborn at home, so I'd like to sink as little money into it as possible. I have already upgraded gpu and psu hoping that would be enough to get me off the ground. I also added more RAM to put me at 16 gb, but it's only using 8 (maybe because it's two different types??). It doesn't have to be a beast, but I'd like for newer games to be playable.

TL;DR: I want to upgrade my PC for as cheap as possible to be able to run some newer games.

Specs:

It's a pre-built Velocity Micro Vector Campus

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E
CPU: I5-760 @ 7.60GHz
RAM: 16 gb installed (2x 4gb Kingston HyperX Fury, 2x 4gb base)
GPU:MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6gb

Would it be helpful/necessary to just get a new mobo and cpu? Willing to change whatever is necessary, just can't spend a ton of money; have to be able to justify it to the wife.

I am new to building and just trying to learn as I go. I helped my dad my dad get some files off a computer he used to have, so I kept the computer for free. It was my goal to upgrade it enough to be decent enough at gaming to run whenever I have time to hop on for a little bit. I remembered it running games pretty smoothly, so I thought it would be fairly simple, though now thinking about it, that was in 2010. I have a newborn at home, so I'd like to sink as little money into it as possible. I have already upgraded gpu and psu hoping that would be enough to get me off the ground. I also added more RAM to put me at 16 gb, but it's only using 8 (maybe because it's two different types??). It doesn't have to be a beast, but I'd like for newer games to be playable.

TL;DR: I want to upgrade my PC for as cheap as possible to be able to run some newer games.

Specs:

It's a pre-built Velocity Micro Vector Campus

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E
CPU: I5-760 @ 7.60GHz
RAM: 16 gb installed (2x 4gb Kingston HyperX Fury, 2x 4gb base)
GPU:MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6gb

Would it be helpful/necessary to just get a new mobo and cpu? Willing to change whatever is necessary, just can't spend a ton of money; have to be able to justify it to the wife.
You would also need new RAM, that's DDR3 what you have,

Apr 30, 2020
Thats disappointing if thats the case. I mean it already runs older games pretty smoothly, so I was hoping there was something to be done. But if I'm at the point of replacing mobo, cpu and ram after having already replaced psu and gpu, I'm essentially just building a new computer right? Really just using the case. If there's nothing I can do with current cpu, I guess I'm just looking for tips on a moderately/cheaply priced mobo/cpu that will be a bit faster.