[SOLVED] New to building, want to know if there's any compatibility issues I might wanna watch out for.

Oct 30, 2019
Hello, new to PC building here.

I trying to build a pick the best parts for a gaming pc here but over the last month (waiting for black Friday) I've been changing parts constantly due to prices, compatibility and performance. So far the only two thing I haven't changed about the build are the CPU and the case fans, everything else saw some changes here and there. And I hope that by posting my current desired specs here I might finally decide what parts I want. Keep in mind that the PSU is the only thing I won't change cuz well... It's the only thing I've had expert help deciding on. With further ado, here are the specs that I've gathered based on my $1300 budget.

PS: the system I want has to run has to run 4K for future proofing and such.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Rx 5700 xt red devil
CPU cooler: deepcool gammaxx gt
Storage: 1tb crucial bx500 SSD
Motherboard: ASrock x570 pro4
Memory: LPX vengeance 16gb DDR4 3200
Case: nr600
Case fans: 6 deepcool rf120s
PSU: Seasonic focus plus gold 650w

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
4K capable, but I wouldn't try running games at 4K with this system. Unless they are fairly old or lightweight. You need a lot more GPU to run 4K 60hz with decent graphics settings. We just aren't really there for 4K to be mainstream, only really for enthusiasts who don't mind dropping nearly 2 grand on a GPU and monitor, even then, not ideal.

CPU cooler is a little light. It will work, but if you plan overclocking or anything, probably not the best choice. Look at the be quiet! models like the Dark Rock series, or something from Noctua.

bx500 is a slower model SSD. If you can stretch for it, try an Intel 660p NVMe M.2 SSD.

Oct 30, 2019
4K capable, but I wouldn't try running games at 4K with this system. Unless they are fairly old or lightweight. You need a lot more GPU to run 4K 60hz with decent graphics settings. We just aren't really there for 4K to be mainstream, only really for enthusiasts who don't mind dropping nearly 2 grand on a GPU and monitor, even then, not ideal.

CPU cooler is a little light. It will work, but if you plan overclocking or anything, probably not the best choice. Look at the be quiet! models like the Dark Rock series, or something from Noctua.

bx500 is a slower model SSD. If you can stretch for it, try an Intel 660p NVMe M.2 SSD.
Thanks for the feedback, checked out the dark rock... Not what I had in mind. I think I'll get a nh-u12a, people have nothing but praise for it. Ugly, but great cooling and cheaper. As for the bx500... Yea, I kinda misspelled it, I got the crucial P1 nvme which the benchmarks consider slightly better and cheaper than intel's 660. And yeah, guess your right about the 4k being too early and needing an overpriced rig to run somewhat decently. But the rig should cover anything running on 1440p right?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm a little vague since I haven't been paying a lot of attention to GPUs lately, but I think the 5700XT is a little faster than an RTX2060 Super and slightly under an RTX2070 in terms of graphics performance. RTX2080, RTX2080 Super, and RTX2080Ti are all above that and they struggle with 4K max settings in the latest games.

Now I run a GTX1080, overclocked to as high as it will go under water. I can get 80-90FPS in the hardest hitting titles at 1440p. Roughly an RTX2070 in terms of performance. So from that measure the 5700XT should do quite well for 1440p at 60hz.

5700XT is upper mid-range, but only because it is newer than everything else on the market. Still a little overpriced if you ask me, but that is true of the entire GPU market at the moment. RTX cards are actually kind of old at this point, and people just keep paying those prices. Super cards amounted to a moderate discount, but still keeping those prices much higher than previous. Nvidia is trying to find markets for their silicon and has been making every revision possible with the same GPUs.

Now I have ranted before how I was surprised how long they managed to hold fast against inflation, and keep GPU prices consistent for so long. When competition was decent, Nvidia and AMD kept in each other in check. Nvidia has had the upper hand too long. Probably the last time I buy a flagship GPU was the 1080, I can't justify $1200 on a single PC component, on top of my penchant for water cooling, that is just way too much. When the GTX1080 dips below 60 FPS on newer titles, I'll start looking at a replacement, probably a xx70 series card once Nvidia gets around to a process node shrink. Pretty impressive what AMD has done with it, interesting to see what is coming soon. (AMD better also get to releasing another flagship at some point, I know they've discussed not competing in the past, but I think they could pull it off. Probably another nuclear meltdown in a box, but people will still buy it)

Oct 30, 2019
Guess I have the upper hand here considering that I've been comparing benchmarks the last few weeks trying to decide what I should get.
The 2080 is just way over priced and offers maybe 10% more performance. The 2070 is basically the same performance as the 5700 but $100 more expensive and the 2060 feels like a hand me down for new builders (like me who are considering the 1660) but Nvidia wants to sell the more costly 2000 series to. So yeah, you ain't messing much.

logainofhades

Titan
You have the budget for a 3700x.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($326.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE 56.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Dragon Video Card ($409.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Metallic Gear Neo Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Custom: MetallicGear Skiron RGB MG-F120PRGB_BK RGB LED Case Fan ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1279.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-04 16:28 EST-0500

Solution
Oct 30, 2019
You have the budget for a 3700x.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($326.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE 56.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Dragon Video Card ($409.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Metallic Gear Neo Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Custom: MetallicGear Skiron RGB MG-F120PRGB_BK RGB LED Case Fan ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1279.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-04 16:28 EST-0500
Very interesting build, I'll take a closer look tomorrow, thanks.

Nov 3, 2019
Thanks for the feedback, checked out the dark rock... Not what I had in mind. I think I'll get a nh-u12a, people have nothing but praise for it. Ugly, but great cooling and cheaper. As for the bx500... Yea, I kinda misspelled it, I got the crucial P1 nvme which the benchmarks consider slightly better and cheaper than intel's 660. And yeah, guess your right about the 4k being too early and needing an overpriced rig to run somewhat decently. But the rig should cover anything running on 1440p right?
1440p no problem, i'd say most games high-ultra quality, about 80-100 fps, forget 4k unless you like to play at medium settings and lowering all sorts of graphical effects to get 60 fps, not worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: NewbBuild

TRENDING THREADS