New to computers need help selecting right motherboard

The pooch

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
I am building a pic for around 1000-1200 and think I have a handle on most components but don't know what motherboard is good for my gaming needs if anyone could help that would be great

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what cpu are you looking at? what are your needs such as do you need overclocking? plan on running multipls gpu's? number of sata ports, ethernet, sound expectations and anything else that might be useful for us to help out.

there really are no bad boards anymore, just bad prices. just need to match features to your needs and see what fits :)

The pooch

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
CPU Change

Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
$219.99 Amazon
CPU Cooler Change

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
$19.99 Newegg
Motherboard Change

ASRock H170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
$89.99 Newegg
Memory Change

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
$57.99 Amazon
Storage Change

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
$84.99 NCIX US

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
$47.49 OutletPC
Video CardAdd
CaseAdd
Power Supply Change

Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
$70.00 Newegg
Optical DriveAdd
Operating System Change

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
$83.89 OutletPC
SoftwareAdd
Wireless Network Adapter Change

TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
$38.88 OutletPC
Monitor Change

Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor
$99.99 Amazon
Keyboard Change

Cooler Master OCTANE Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse
$39.99 Newegg

So that is everything I am looking at the reason there in no video card is because I am thinking about getting the rx480 when it comes out. I also don't know the difference between all of the cases any advise you have would be great

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
overall not bad choices except for the mobo which is why you asked for help :)

anyway you have an unlocked cpu paired with a non overclocking board. you'll want a z170 board for that cpu or save a few bucks and get a locked, non "k", cpu. will also save a few dollars that way with the cooler since the locked cpu's come with a cooler already and it is good enough for those cpu's.

on the cheaper end, the asrock z170 board are pretty cheap and good enough for most people. spend some more and the others will have slightly better specs (such as included sound and ethernet card) but are still solid boards.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
don't want to suggest anything overkill (read expensive) but they get expensive quick when going for more than 6 sata ports. such as the asrock z170 extreme 6 which has a nice rebate right now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157631

6 should be good enough, that let's you have 3 more sata devices. price goes up quick for these models, so consider carefully if you will really need more than 3 more ports :)

Solution