New to crossfire

unklep

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I just got a second hand gpu online. gigabyte 280x oc rev 2. to match the one i have for a crossfire setup. everything seems good when i run 3dmark fire strike test it went from ~7500 to over 11000. so definitly a noticeable perfromace boost.

but now my pc gets hot really hot druing the test i had to stop it at 88 degrees to make sure i didnt kill the cards. im just doing air cool and i have 2 case fans. i have room for 2 more and will get them asap. but why did it get so hot. before i got the second card i would top out at 75 max. if i have to i will get a liquid cooling setup but i really dont want to hassle with it.

also used gpu-z to check out the cards and the second card has a old bios. can i update them to both have the same bios or is the bios locked?

plus any i would appreciate if anyone could send me a link for tuning a crossfire setup.

if you know anything that ive might of missed that would help too

thanks

Solution
this is normal to get a hot PC with crossfire, you need to upgrade your case for better ventilation, or get more case fans.

I do not suggest liquid cooling, to many hassles like you said, and maintenance. Go for a large case with high CFM fans, that will work and keep temps down.

Buying a silverstone FHP 141 (140x140x38mm) and cable tying it to the hdd cage will work, at 2000 RPM it moves 171 CFM.
this is normal to get a hot PC with crossfire, you need to upgrade your case for better ventilation, or get more case fans.

I do not suggest liquid cooling, to many hassles like you said, and maintenance. Go for a large case with high CFM fans, that will work and keep temps down.

Buying a silverstone FHP 141 (140x140x38mm) and cable tying it to the hdd cage will work, at 2000 RPM it moves 171 CFM.

Solution

Rapidz

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
where abouts do you live? living in cold places like the Antarctic and finland will help, also with the above dude said, I added side case fans that blow cool air straight into the gpu area, it helps immensely.

unklep

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

after i added 2 more fans on top and back i dont have problems anymore

TRENDING THREADS