new to dns

I have my own server. webserver 2003, I am using an external dns server
service. is the dns program that comes with windows a good one to use or
should I use something like simple dns plus. I have DSL and my ip address is
dynamic. it changes any time I power cycle the modem.
thanks

DNS in Win2003 is really good provided that you know what your doing.

When you install Active Directory this will automatically populate your
domain name (internally) and thus you can ask your ISP to change its own DNS
entries to point to your box. For example, if you host your own Exchange
mail system (MX).

Hope this helps
Paul.

"medicman" <my@email.com> wrote in message
> I have my own server. webserver 2003, I am using an external dns server
> service. is the dns program that comes with windows a good one to use or
> should I use something like simple dns plus. I have DSL and my ip address
is
> dynamic. it changes any time I power cycle the modem.
> thanks

If you are new to DNS AND you are on dynamic IP, I would recommend that you
don't pull the plug yet on the external DNS service provider. Windows DNS
itself is not hard, but you need to first understand how DNS works (or is
supposed to work), try and get a static IP, then declare your independence.

Reference:
http://www.dyndns.org/services/custom/
http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/

--
Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - COMPLETE SPAM Protection
www.akomolafe.com
Yesterday? -anon

In news:wTZHc.418$4O6.243@news02.roc.ny,
medicman <my@email.com> asked for help and I offered my suggestions below:
> I have my own server. webserver 2003, I am using an external dns
> server service. is the dns program that comes with windows a good one
> to use or should I use something like simple dns plus. I have DSL and
> my ip address is dynamic. it changes any time I power cycle the modem.
> thanks

As Deji says, changing IPs do not work with a nameserver on the Internet, or
internally for that matter as well. If you can get a static IP, that's your
best bet. Actually two are required by the registrars if you're going to
host a nameserver. Some will use their own for the one, and use the ISP's
for the other address. Its probably easier to stick with the external for
now.

--
Regards,
Ace