Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have recently upgraded from FS2002 to 2004 and wanted to ask a couple of
question.....

Firstly my system spec...

P4 3.0 Gig
512MB RAM
GeForce FX5600 256MB (Driver 61.77)
XP SP2

I have found that heavy clouds can bring my frame rate crashing down to
around 12fps (normally I can get 30 - 40fps) making things very jerky, does
this sound normal for a system of my spec?

Also, I thing the scenery is much improved, so does anyone think I still
need to install VFR Terrain and/or Photographic scenery like I did in
FS2002?

Thanks guys

"Greg" <ggrh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> P4 3.0 Gig / 512MB RAM / GeForce FX5600 / 256MB (Driver 61.77) /
> XP SP2
>
> I have found that heavy clouds can bring my frame rate crashing down to
> around 12fps (normally I can get 30 - 40fps) making things very jerky,
> does this sound normal for a system of my spec?

Your system is a little better than mine (but close), so the clouds could
quite easily degrade your FPS as you descibe (in my experience). One tip is
to reduce, if you haven't already, the percentage of 3-D clouds (in Display
Settings). I use around 20-30% to balance beauty and performance. Also,
you might reduce the distance at which clouds become visible.

> Also, I thing the scenery is much improved, so does anyone think I still
> need to install VFR Terrain and/or Photographic scenery like I did in
> FS2002?

This is a matter of personal taste, of course, so whatever *you* enjoy! :)
IMO, a higher-than-default terrain mesh is a big improvement.

"Greg" <ggrh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> P4 3.0 Gig
> 512MB RAM
> GeForce FX5600 256MB (Driver 61.77)
> XP SP2
>
> I have found that heavy clouds can bring my frame rate crashing down to
> around 12fps (normally I can get 30 - 40fps) making things very jerky,
does
> this sound normal for a system of my spec?

Probably about right. I've got a 3GHz P4 with a Gb of dual-ddr and on my
9600 Pro I get about 60 fps on max detail until I hit cloudy weather, then
it drops to about 20-30. Like the other guy said, reduce the 3D cloud % and
it should improve.

> Also, I thing the scenery is much improved, so does anyone think I still
> need to install VFR Terrain and/or Photographic scenery like I did in
> FS2002?

I installed FS Terrain to improve the elevation map and it makes so much
difference. I've heard that the photographic VFR scenery is really
crippling on frame rates and periodic load times, and only looks any good
above about 5000 ft.

Si

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Matt B." <sawdust100@charter.net> wrote in message

> "Greg" <ggrh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> P4 3.0 Gig / 512MB RAM / GeForce FX5600 / 256MB (Driver 61.77) /
>> XP SP2
>>
>> I have found that heavy clouds can bring my frame rate crashing down to
>> around 12fps (normally I can get 30 - 40fps) making things very jerky,
>> does this sound normal for a system of my spec?
>
> Your system is a little better than mine (but close), so the clouds could
> quite easily degrade your FPS as you descibe (in my experience). One tip
> is to reduce, if you haven't already, the percentage of 3-D clouds (in
> Display Settings). I use around 20-30% to balance beauty and performance.
> Also, you might reduce the distance at which clouds become visible.
>
>> Also, I thing the scenery is much improved, so does anyone think I still
>> need to install VFR Terrain and/or Photographic scenery like I did in
>> FS2002?
>
> This is a matter of personal taste, of course, so whatever *you* enjoy!
> :) IMO, a higher-than-default terrain mesh is a big improvement.

Thanks guys for the suggestions will give them a try!

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Simon Robbins" <simon@NOSPAMsjrobbins.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Greg" <ggrh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> P4 3.0 Gig
>> 512MB RAM
>> GeForce FX5600 256MB (Driver 61.77)
>> XP SP2
>>
>> I have found that heavy clouds can bring my frame rate crashing down to
>> around 12fps (normally I can get 30 - 40fps) making things very jerky,
> does
>> this sound normal for a system of my spec?
>
> Probably about right. I've got a 3GHz P4 with a Gb of dual-ddr and on my
> 9600 Pro I get about 60 fps on max detail until I hit cloudy weather, then
> it drops to about 20-30. Like the other guy said, reduce the 3D cloud %
> and
> it should improve.
>
>> Also, I thing the scenery is much improved, so does anyone think I still
>> need to install VFR Terrain and/or Photographic scenery like I did in
>> FS2002?
>
> I installed FS Terrain to improve the elevation map and it makes so much
> difference. I've heard that the photographic VFR scenery is really
> crippling on frame rates and periodic load times, and only looks any good
> above about 5000 ft.
>
> Si

Thanks Si appreciate the advice.

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:14:49 +0000 (UTC), "Greg" <ggrh@yahoo.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>"Matt B." <sawdust100@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Greg" <ggrh@yahoo.com> wrote in message..
>>>
>>> P4 3.0 Gig / 512MB RAM / GeForce FX5600 /
>>> 256MB (Driver 61.77) / XP SP2
>>>
>>> I have found that heavy clouds can bring my frame rate crashing down to
>>> around 12fps (normally I can get 30 - 40fps) making things very jerky,
>>> does this sound normal for a system of my spec?
>>
>> Your system is a little better than mine (but close), so the clouds could
>> quite easily degrade your FPS as you descibe (in my experience). One tip
>> is to reduce, if you haven't already, the percentage of 3-D clouds (in
>> Display Settings). I use around 20-30% to balance beauty and performance.
>> Also, you might reduce the distance at which clouds become visible.
>>
>>> Also, I thing the scenery is much improved, so does anyone think I still
>>> need to install VFR Terrain and/or Photographic scenery like I did in
>>> FS2002?
>>
>> This is a matter of personal taste, of course, so whatever *you* enjoy!
>> :) IMO, a higher-than-default terrain mesh is a big improvement.

Hi-res mesh is a must (nominal 70m.. and 30m where available..)

>Thanks guys for the suggestions will give them a try!

Interesting discussion.. am starting to think about new platform now!!

Here's an interesting test.. have THREE video boards of the same make
and type (in this case FX5600).. the only difference being the amount
of VRAM. We'll say 64MB, 128MB, 256MB. Then with a complex flight
saved such as weather over large city with water and autogen.. run the
fight for an equal amount of time and log framerate. Characterise vs
amount of VRAM.

The reason is.. have a theory that a LARGE video aperture (memory
space) will require more CPU power to render objects further away and
with more detail. Additionally it says.. installing a board with LESS
VRAM speeds up the Sim but lowers detail and possibly quantity of
distant objects.

Ok to refute if concept is all wet. You see.. there's no test data to
support or disprove. What do ya' think??

-Gregory

jafar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:28:29 +0000, Greg wrote:

> P4 3.0 Gig
> 512MB RAM
> GeForce FX5600 256MB (Driver 61.77)
> XP SP2
>
> I have found that heavy clouds can bring my frame rate crashing down to
> around 12fps (normally I can get 30 - 40fps) making things very jerky, does
> this sound normal for a system of my spec?

You might try turning the 3D cloud percentage down as the FX5600 is a
little slow for so much detail.

--
Jafar Calley
Producer - http://moonlife-records.com

You can use the same VFR scenery in FS2004. There is a utilty on their
website to do this for you painlessly.

Adding to what others have said I would try to up your RAM to 1Gb if
possible. It will ease things a lot, and it will certainly help your other
computer activities too.

Quilljar

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60

http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ

More memory would help.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message news:syqWd.25638$Im.3585@okepread01...
> Carl Frisk wrote:
>> More memory would help.
>>

> more what? d:->))

I forgot?
....Carl

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message >

>Adding to what others have said I would try to up your RAM to 1Gb if
>possible. It will ease things a lot, and it will certainly help your other
>computer activities too.

Thanks for this one, do you suggest I add some ram to what I have already
(if so how do I know what sort it is?) or should
I buy some newer stuff? My PC is about one year old.

Thanks

> Thanks for this one, do you suggest I add some ram to what I have
> already (if so how do I know what sort it is?) or should
> I buy some newer stuff? My PC is about one year old.
>
> Thanks

Yes add more RAM to what you have but check with an expert that it matches,
otherwise I understand it may be useless. I am not techie enough to tell you
the details but someone here will, possibly Carl Frisk?

Cheers,

Quilly

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ok will do, thanks again.

>> Thanks for this one, do you suggest I add some ram to what I have
>> already (if so how do I know what sort it is?) or should
>> I buy some newer stuff? My PC is about one year old.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Yes add more RAM to what you have but check with an expert that it
> matches, otherwise I understand it may be useless. I am not techie enough
> to tell you the details but someone here will, possibly Carl Frisk?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>> Thanks for this one, do you suggest I add some ram to what I have
>> already (if so how do I know what sort it is?) or should
>> I buy some newer stuff? My PC is about one year old.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Yes add more RAM to what you have but check with an expert that it
> matches, otherwise I understand it may be useless. I am not techie enough
> to tell you the details but someone here will, possibly Carl Frisk?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly

ok will do, thanks again.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Greg" <ggrh@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Yes add more RAM to what you have but check with an expert that it
>> matches, otherwise I understand it may be useless. I am not techie enough
>> to tell you the details but someone here will, possibly Carl Frisk?

I have been into my BIOS and it says I have 512MB DDR 333Mhz can anyone
from that tell me what I need to buy?

Thanks for any advice

"Greg" <ggrh@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d0fkbu$fb5$1@sparta.btinternet.com...

> "Greg" <ggrh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>> Yes add more RAM to what you have but check with an expert that it
>>> matches, otherwise I understand it may be useless. I am not techie enough
>>> to tell you the details but someone here will, possibly Carl Frisk?
>

> I have been into my BIOS and it says I have 512MB DDR 333Mhz can anyone from that tell me what I need to buy?
>
> Thanks for any advice

Hi Greg,
You should probably at this point power down your machine and write down all the info you can find on the top of the
RAM chips. They should all match assuming there is more than one chip. Then you can go online and search for the best
prices or order through a dealer.

I've seen a lot of posts lately where the machine runs fine until they start up FS9 or some other app that will consume
a lot of memory. Then the machine crashes. It usually boils down to 1 of 2 reasons.
1. Overheating
2. Mismatched RAM

One machine was brand new from the factory with 2GB or RAM. Mismatched. She ordered new RAM (warranty) and the problem
was fixed.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Here's a link to get you started.
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,18024,00.asp
There a many more. Just Google "how to add ram" "adding ram" etc.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

> Here's a link to get you started.
> http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,18024,00.asp
> There a many more. Just Google "how to add ram" "adding ram" etc.

There's also a nice free utility called PC Wizard which you can download and
it will tell you all sorts of detailed information about all aspects of your
hardware, including RAM. You can use this in addition to reading the
sticker on the actual sticks of RAM in your computer.

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:27:23 +0000 (UTC), "Greg" <ggrh@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message >
>
>>Adding to what others have said I would try to up your RAM to 1Gb if
>>possible. It will ease things a lot, and it will certainly help your other
> >computer activities too.
>

>Thanks for this one, do you suggest I add some ram to what I have already
>(if so how do I know what sort it is?) or should
>I buy some newer stuff? My PC is about one year old.
>
>Thanks

http://www.crucial.com/

"Eliminate the hassle and risk of getting the wrong memory guaranteed,
or we'll refund the price of your module! In just 3 easy steps our
Memory Advisor tool will show you exactly the right upgrade for your
computer."

Just enter your computer manufacturer into Step 1 and press "Go To
Step two"

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Ralph White" <Ralph_White @hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:27:23 +0000 (UTC), "Greg" <ggrh@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message >
>>
>>>Adding to what others have said I would try to up your RAM to 1Gb if
>>>possible. It will ease things a lot, and it will certainly help your
>>>other
>> >computer activities too.
>>

>>Thanks for this one, do you suggest I add some ram to what I have already
>>(if so how do I know what sort it is?) or should
>>I buy some newer stuff? My PC is about one year old.
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> http://www.crucial.com/
>
> "Eliminate the hassle and risk of getting the wrong memory guaranteed,
> or we'll refund the price of your module! In just 3 easy steps our
> Memory Advisor tool will show you exactly the right upgrade for your
> computer."
>
> Just enter your computer manufacturer into Step 1 and press "Go To
> Step two"

thanks for the advice guys!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts