new to HID lighting, need some help.

koorite

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
So I am wanting to get some HID headlights for my truck. I have done a bit of research and think I found everything I need to get but I have run into a problem that I have tried to find an answer to for hours only to gain a headache lol. I know I need to get a set of projector headlights so the HIDs do not blind everyone else. Every projector headlight I found for my truck uses a H1 bulb so I assume I need to get a H1 HID kit but my truck uses 9006 bulbs stock. I am just wondering if they will work or if there is an adapter or something I need to buy also? I will try to list all of the info below, but if you need to know anything else just let me know. Thanks in advance!

Vehicle:
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax Vin1 (LB7)

Projector Headlights:
http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Denali-Headlights-Bumper-Lights/dp/B008XCF72I/ref=pd_sbs_263_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51f%2BXDuphiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1MSCBGK8EHR5QT2PB1RW

HID Kit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF48OA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3GVO71WDMGEMM

Budget:
Around $200 give or take a little

Solution
Both my bikes, and my Jeep run HIDs, no projector housings.

The 9006 uses two wires, the H1 uses two wires, it's not really that big of a deal, hook the ground side of the 9006 harness to the outer ring of the H1, hot side to the center stud of the H1.

But yes if you order a projector that needs an H1 bulb, you need to use H1 bulbs, they install completely different than the 9006. Making them work won't be any issue.
Both my bikes, and my Jeep run HIDs, no projector housings.

The 9006 uses two wires, the H1 uses two wires, it's not really that big of a deal, hook the ground side of the 9006 harness to the outer ring of the H1, hot side to the center stud of the H1.

But yes if you order a projector that needs an H1 bulb, you need to use H1 bulbs, they install completely different than the 9006. Making them work won't be any issue.

Solution
*Some* stock headlight housings do OK with HIDs (they're not horribly blinding to everyone), but I don't recommend it. The distribution of light will be different from an HID bulb, and will end up in different places using the stock reflectors. I ran with H4 bulbs in my stock reflectors for a few weeks, before deciding it just wasn't worth having to point my lights way down to avoid blinding other drivers.

With the new headlights, you'll need an HID kit with H1 bulbs. I recommend ~4300k at most, because as you get whiter, the light becomes less usable - more glare in rain/snow/fog, and less brightness because our eyes' peak sensitivity is lower in the spectrum.