[SOLVED] New to homeplug, some questions

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Hi all. I am new to homeplug but I'd like to purchase one soon.

Questions is
  1. How to choose a homeplug among many brands and models? Which brands or models would you recommend?
  2. Is it safe to the electric wires if my PC is turned ON and connected to broadband for 24 hours a day,
7 days a week? Would it generate or accumulate a lot of heat? I have no concept...
3. Is it better to use a wireless router or a homeplug? Now I am using physical LAN cable and I
sometimes get stumbled by it, I really need to get rid of it but the only LAN available is distant from
my computer room.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Solution
Most people coming to this forum play games and powerline is better than wifi that is the only reason for that comment. For other applications there is no way to say for sure your house is different from everyone else. Both powerline and wifi performance is greatly affected by the house.

I will give you this review link and you can read and determine which you think is best. This site tests somewhat more scientifically than other review sites. Some reviews just run them in their house and tries to say that it will function the same in your house. This site even though the use a more strict testing method warns that your house may be different.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view
They make all kinds of things to secure cables. They make things like strips you put on the floor or walls and then run the cables through them.

The homeplug does not use much power at all. It likely does not take much more than a cell phone charger. Although it uses power to function what it is really doing is using the power wires as antenna. It sorta is wifi that uses the wires rather than the air to transmit its signal.

The new technology is based on what is called AV2. These work much better than the older av500 and av200. You will see models like av2-600 and av2-1200. Like wifi these numbers are a big lie. In your average house you will not get much over 150mbps.

The key advantage to these is they are not as susceptible to outside interference from say neighbors equipment. it tends to be more stable and works better for online games. Wifi is very hit and miss. If you have no competition for bandwidth it will likely be faster, if you have lots of neighbors using wifi the performance is not as good.

I would look at cable management solutions and try to find a way to keep your lan cable and have it not get in your way. The lan is going to be faster but more important is it just works all the time.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
They make all kinds of things to secure cables. They make things like strips you put on the floor or walls and then run the cables through them.

The homeplug does not use much power at all. It likely does not take much more than a cell phone charger. Although it uses power to function what it is really doing is using the power wires as antenna. It sorta is wifi that uses the wires rather than the air to transmit its signal.

The new technology is based on what is called AV2. These work much better than the older av500 and av200. You will see models like av2-600 and av2-1200. Like wifi these numbers are a big lie. In your average house you will not get much over 150mbps.

The key advantage to these is they are not as susceptible to outside interference from say neighbors equipment. it tends to be more stable and works better for online games. Wifi is very hit and miss. If you have no competition for bandwidth it will likely be faster, if you have lots of neighbors using wifi the performance is not as good.

I would look at cable management solutions and try to find a way to keep your lan cable and have it not get in your way. The lan is going to be faster but more important is it just works all the time.

Hi. So, would you recommend a homeplug? Which brands would you recommend?

I don't normally play games but I sometimes (yes sometimes) play Pro Evolution Soccer on Steam but I don't play with other online users. However, you can ignore
this, I can stop playing games at all.

But most of the time I will not turn off the PC and internet. I like listening to online
radio or music (on youtube) every night I sleep. In the day time, I will let the download manager to download files on its schedule when I am away.

Most people coming to this forum play games and powerline is better than wifi that is the only reason for that comment. For other applications there is no way to say for sure your house is different from everyone else. Both powerline and wifi performance is greatly affected by the house.

I will give you this review link and you can read and determine which you think is best. This site tests somewhat more scientifically than other review sites. Some reviews just run them in their house and tries to say that it will function the same in your house. This site even though the use a more strict testing method warns that your house may be different.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view

Solution