[SOLVED] New-to-me RAID 0 NVMEs ... How to Make It Go Away ...

Jul 29, 2021
Hi folks,

Longtime user/reader, first-time poster ...

I bought a used PC with 2 nvme 500GB drives in RAID 0 as a boot drive. Is there any way I can get my system onto a single 1TB non-RAID drive without starting over? I don't need to do it right away and the system is running fine.

Also, what are my best backup options for the boot drive/s? Windows 10 does not "complete" a backup. I am guessing it doesn't like to do a system image of a raid 0 setup?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Solution
You should be able to image the RAID0 onto a single sufficiently large third drive. Though I'd be wary of any random crap that may be floating around the previous owner's install and agree with USAFret that you should just clean-install on the new larger drive.
Jul 29, 2021
Thanks. RAID is on in bios. Makes me nervous that Win 10 backup says backup did not complete -- though it gives me the option to restore files/system image from what I did back up.

Is there better software for making a system image; and will the image restore to a single unpartitioned drive or is the RAID part of the backup?

InvalidError

Titan
You should be able to image the RAID0 onto a single sufficiently large third drive. Though I'd be wary of any random crap that may be floating around the previous owner's install and agree with USAFret that you should just clean-install on the new larger drive.

Solution
Jul 29, 2021
I think normally on like a server for example the system doesn’t realize there’s a raid because usually it is set up outside of the OS. There are other programs out there. I think Easuse is one that isn’t bad.

I was able to get a system image with Paragon. I don't know yet if, when I try to recover from it, if it will require a RAID setup ... ??

Jul 29, 2021

I did reinstall OS. But did not change partition setup. I resisted having less than a 1TB C: drive for now.

Though that's not entirely rational. It just felt like I'd be going backwards. ;)

Currently have 2x500gb NVME in RAID 0, I TB SSD Samsung, 4TB Toshiba SATA. My old 4690K is now on a 2GB SATA which no longer feels exactly peppy but it's going to be a media server/platter box anyway.

Jul 29, 2021
I would have.

RAID 0 + SSD infers no real performance benefit.
It does add complexity and fail potential.

Anyway -- didn't. Not going to argue. Machine had an additional 240gb on pcie card and I took that out. Added the 1TB SSD because I had one (previous PC boot drive). The RAID setup benchmarks at 3500mb/second. I don't have the time to redo it now and probably won't try until I have to. I have everything I need to install from scratch whenever that is ... I know that I probably will prefer not to take the time if I don't have to.

D

Deleted member 14196

Would that be not having time to do it right, or not having time to do it over 1 million times because it’s not right. You choose. Choose wisely

Your whole thing of saving time is false you’re not saving any time you’re elongating the process of it being messed up

Windows 10 installs in under 10 minutes from scratch

USAFRet

Titan
For me, any used system gets a full wipe and reinstall. No matter the drive config.
You have no idea what the previous users had in there, or where that OS install came from.

I've seen things in used systems that would make your short and curlies even curlier.