Sep 1, 2019
Hey guys! Want to make this as detailed and as clear as possible so here we go. I'm still very new and learning so this is my 2nd build and components are:
MSI x570 gaming plus Mobo
Ryzen 9 3900x
GeForce RTX 2060 super
Oloy DDR4 2x16 32gb 3200mhz
*Air cooled system with Noctua
NH D-15 keeping CPU at 29°idle

Now where I'm running into a wall is overclocking the ram. I know i could've probably gone with a better ram set but they seemed like a great value for the price.
(1) So a few questions, because a couple people have told me these should be A-die ram and was wondering if anyone has any tips with A-die? (Thaiphoon does not show die type)
(2) And from my understanding to keep the ryzen 3900x at 1:1 ratio I should keep the ram at 3200 or less right? Or should I push it past that?
(3) Please keep in mind I'm not trying to go real extreme with anything. I have the 3900x only at 4.3 and 1.3v. The ram I can't seem to me with too much though without it being unstable. I set CPU and GPU to stock and I can't even adjust RAM from 16-18-18
to 15-17-17 and command rate to 1T without it not wanting to boot to bios. Dram 1.4v, SOC 1.15v.
Does that seem right?

Thank you for any help! 🙂🙏

RAM link-
https://www.newegg.com/oloy-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820821196

zx128k

Reputable
Man I Removed up then. ☹

What ram set would you recommend my friend?

The timings on Samsung A-die are just much slower than B-die. You can still overclock a-die frequency wise to DDR43600-3800 but samsung b-die will have better timings at the same frequencies. A-die is cheaper, for higher density but worse for timings. If your goal is lots of RAM but at a cheap price, then you did not make a mistake. If you are having second thoughts and want faster RAM with better timings. That's okay too, hopefully you can return the RAM and get your money back.

When someone tells you to get G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB, they are telling you to get samsung b-die.

If you go to B-Die Finder,

G.Skill Trident Z Neo (rgb)F4-3600C16D-32GTZN3600C16 / 8.9ns2x16GB / DR

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ZombieSlapChop
Sep 1, 2019
The timings on Samsung A-die are just much slower than B-die. You can still overclock a-die frequency wise to DDR43600-3800 but samsung b-die will have better timings at the same frequencies. A-die is cheaper, for higher density but worse for timings. If your goal is lots of RAM but at a cheap price, then you did not make a mistake. If you are having second thoughts and want faster RAM with better timings. That's okay too, hopefully you can return the RAM and get your money back.

When someone tells you to get G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB, they are telling you to get samsung b-die.

If you go to B-Die Finder,

Zx! I was hoping to see you in here. 😎🤙

Some people keep telling me to stay at 3200mhz or less though because of some 1:1 ratio that you need to maintain with the 3900x.
Plus I can't seem to keep some of these temps down when I stress test the system. The CPU gets up to 85° and I kinda want to keep it around 75-77°.

This ram situation is really confusing me lol. 😅

zx128k

Reputable
Basically all Ryzen CPU's have an interconnect architecture that facilitates data and control transmission across all linked components. This is called the Infinity Fabric. If the Infinity Fabric (IF) is not 1:1 with the memory clock then this leads to a latency penalty which reduces performance.

Normally you can set the IF to 1800 and not have to do much effort. Getting the RAM to 1800MHz DDR4 3600 is another story. You can buy DDR4 3600 RAM or overclock.

The above RAM will get you to IF 1800 and set XMP to DDR4 3600 without much effort. You should set IF manually in BIOS to 1800 and use the DDR4 3600 XMP for the RAM. Getting IF 1900 to work is a pain. I pass stress tests but still not sure I am 100% stable.

With your RAM kit I would set IF to 1800 and the RAM to DDR4 3600. Leave the RAM timings at auto and see if you boot at DDR4 3600. If you do boot, then tighten those RAM timings. A-die won't give you good timings like a good b-die kit but still should hit 3600. Worse timings will just mean lower performance.

Samsung B-die has really good timings at 1.45 volts and will overclock to much higher frequencies. This is why you are being advised to get a G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 kit because the performance will be better and you won't have to work out the timings yourself. Overclocking RAM is very time consuming and can be a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZombieSlapChop