New to overclock

venom86

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Am new to overclocking, and I dont have enough money for a hardware overhaul but I want to beef up the graphics and speed of my computer.

What software should i use, or do i just use bios?
to what clock speed?

Specs;
ASrock g31m-s
intel core 2 duo E8500
4 gig ddr2
stock heat sink
ATI 5770 1 gig

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259903-29-overclocking-benchmarking-guides

An overclock of the cpu is a tedious time consuming process and you have to have a lot of time and patience because with each change in settings you have to verify stability in Windows. So with this process you are back and forth between the bios and Windows.
To beef up the graphics you need a software program to use with your video card. MSI Afterburner or Riva tuner are examples of programs that you can use.

venom86

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Thanks alot guys. However, I have a question. With the Catalysts program that comes with the ATI drivers, there is a an overdrive mode that allows me to increase the "GPU clock" and memory "clock and test it( I actually did). And the Asrock comes with a program as well, it allows me to overclock and change voltage settings as too. Would you recommend I ignore these programs and use the BIOS or do I use them?

venom86

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Okay, cause I want to get it to buy this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-035-AR

and really put it to work, with the GPU also am not upgrading my PC anytime soon, in school and short of money for gaming PC. My PSU is 600 watts, I got that caus e I thought I was gonna crossfire in the near future. How far can I take it.

wow crossfire ... i don't know .. i suggest use 1 GPU, ran crossfire will bottleneck, You only need CPU cooler for doing OC.and for the cpu cooler you choose is good but there are better Hyper 212 is probably cheaper to buy but performance above the Artic Frezer

learn guide OC like said INZONE .. please

keep money for upgrade newest gen in the near future it will worth than you ran at crossfire with old PC :)