New to overclocking but been reading!

onewildbill

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
My part are coming in today and I am doing my first overclock.

I ordered a Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II CPU Cooler

e8400 core 2 duo

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX

What would be a safe startign point for a oc? 3.8g or 4.0 or what

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Since not all cpu's are equal when oc'ing the safest route is to up the fsb in 5-10 mhz increments and doing stability checks at each step. If you want a stable oc this is the way to go.

Also if you are aiming for a truly stable system you can do like I do when I oc my cpu .... When I oc'ed my E2160 I first went from 1.8 to 2.6 in small increments and I left it to "burn-in" for 2,3 weeks to see if it was really stable before slowly going to 3.0. From my experience in oc'ing (started with pentium1 had to oc with jumpers) this is the best way to insure system stability.

FHDelux

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Get a temp / voltage monitoring program like speedfan, and OCCT to stress the CPU in windows. Bump up the voltage to where ever you feel comfortable, i usually choose the top of intels specification for the chip. Set your voltage to that and then start ramping up the fsb making sure to keep your memory speed within its spec. I usually pick a spot that most people have hit with the processor so for the E8400 i'd probably start at 400Mhz fsb for 3.6Ghz (if you have the voltage upp'd). If you post head to windows check temps and run OCCT. If you make it through OCCT for a few minutes up the fsb some more and run OCCT again, repeat until you crash :p, then back it down. OCCT should be enough to tell you if your system is going to run stable or not, I never break in a CPU before overclocking it, i beat on it right out of the box and never had a problem.

Agreed! although 400fsb is a little high for me!

A nice bump to 333 will give you piece of mind and a bit of confidence :)

edit: err... its 333 at stock :| try for 400!