New to Overclocking, looking for advice to a hurdle.

NitPudez

Honorable
May 17, 2013
I have been trying to overclock my i5 6600K for few days.

I first started with intel's XTU, but I run into current limit throttling.

Only helpful answer I found was that adjust bios amp limit or do overclocking in bios as software feed to much voltage.

I set the Bios Amp to the max setting of 1000 M Amp and started to do modifications in bios and uninstalled intel's XTU.

It did not help tho. I still hit the hard wall of 44 multiplier being last stable setting.

I tested all voltages from 1,350 to 1,400, nothing yielded results.

My temperatures are between 59 and 63 Celsius at max load.

Oddest thing is that HW Monitor shows the CPU only eat thing 1.195 volts at best on max load.

I have MSI Z170A M5, GTX 980 Ti, DDR 4 2333? 2x4GB Kingston and Cooler is very similar to Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT but with 2 fans instead of just the 1.

Have I hit my limit or am I just doing something wrong? All help is greatly appreciated. ^-^

Solution
You should also set the Platform power limit (watts) to unlimited or as high as possible.
IF your CPU does consume more then its rated 95 Watts then your pc will stop you from going further.

NitPudez

Honorable
May 17, 2013

Thank you so much. It seems to have worked. Back to further testing for long term stability! ^-^

urbancamper

Distinguished
Gol into your bios and reset it to optimized default, then restart it and go back into the bios.

Click the Advanced Tab. Once inside change it to Expert.

Set the multiplier to where you are trying to overclock to. I would suggest not going any higher then 4.5ghz to start.

Scroll down till you see a line that says something like Digital all power. Click on it. There is a line called Load Line calibration. What LLC does is keep the cpu voltage from dropping down to stock frequencies when the cpu is using all cores at the max overclock setting. Find a spot some place in the middle and set it there.

Continue down to the cpu voltage setting. Start low around 1.3v and see if it will run stable. If it does, try lowering the voltage .05v, if not try raising the voltage .05v. Do this until you find stability.

The only way to truly prove stability is to test the system. There are several programs out there. OCCT, Realbench and Prime95 version 26.6(small fft) are 3 of them.

NitPudez

Honorable
May 17, 2013

Ooh, I will test this. Thank you very much. ^-^