Oct 22, 2020
I'm unfamiliar with overclocking but have followed the YouTube video from UserBenchmark as a guideline. As a result my overclock is +150 MHz on the Core Clock and +1500 MHz on the Memory Clock using Afterburner. Does this seem like too much? I'm particularly concerned about the Memory Clock pushed from 6000 MHz to 7500 MHz. Temps settles in around 71 degC and everything runs stable. Kombuster not crashing. The card is a 1650 Super. Thanks for any input!

Solution
The memory OC does seem a bit too high, although it may not look like anything bad is happening there is a high chance your memory is outputting a lot of errors and is costing you FPS. Run a GPU benchmark like Heaven or Superposition 5 times and see if your results are the same every time. If not then that shows your VRAM is outputting too many errors and trying to correct itself during the run, essentially costing you performance. You would need to find the sweet-spot for memory OC that gives you the best performance with low error output, for example my 2080 Ti is OC'd to about +800MHz, any higher and some VRAM intensive games will start losing FPS due to large amounts of errors. Any lower and I lose FPS due to lower performance in...
The memory OC does seem a bit too high, although it may not look like anything bad is happening there is a high chance your memory is outputting a lot of errors and is costing you FPS. Run a GPU benchmark like Heaven or Superposition 5 times and see if your results are the same every time. If not then that shows your VRAM is outputting too many errors and trying to correct itself during the run, essentially costing you performance. You would need to find the sweet-spot for memory OC that gives you the best performance with low error output, for example my 2080 Ti is OC'd to about +800MHz, any higher and some VRAM intensive games will start losing FPS due to large amounts of errors. Any lower and I lose FPS due to lower performance in general. +800MHz OC is my card's sweetspot, yours will vary. Start by incrementing by 150 each time and testing it that way.

Solution
Oct 22, 2020
The memory OC does seem a bit too high, although it may not look like anything bad is happening there is a high chance your memory is outputting a lot of errors and is costing you FPS. Run a GPU benchmark like Heaven or Superposition 5 times and see if your results are the same every time. If not then that shows your VRAM is outputting too many errors and trying to correct itself during the run, essentially costing you performance. You would need to find the sweet-spot for memory OC that gives you the best performance with low error output, for example my 2080 Ti is OC'd to about +800MHz, any higher and some VRAM intensive games will start losing FPS due to large amounts of errors. Any lower and I lose FPS due to lower performance in general. +800MHz OC is my card's sweetspot, yours will vary. Start by incrementing by 150 each time and testing it that way.
Thanks for all this good info! I had no idea faster could be worse. I was mostly concerned about damaging the card. I assume as long as the temp doesn't get too high I'm not hurting it at all?

Thanks for all this good info! I had no idea faster could be worse. I was mostly concerned about damaging the card. I assume as long as the temp doesn't get too high I'm not hurting it at all?

If the temps get high on a mem OC you could get what is called "GPU artifacting". that's when during the game you start to see random shapes pop in and out as if there was some kind of texture glitch popping up every other second. These are the visible errors that occur when your VRAM is unstable. This is how you definitely know something is wrong. I wouldn't say though it is permanently damaged, the only way to do that would be to increase the voltage of the card beyond spec limitations. If you were to say increase the mem OC to another 3000+, your pc would simply just crash and oyu'd have to restart in safe mood to undo the OC, but the card would be fine. If however you OC'd the card's voltages (OC'ing the voltage is not something you can easily do, you would most likely need a custom made bios for the card to go above safety limits) you could risk damaging the GPU chip itself and shortening the lifespan or worse.

But if you are using MSI afterburner to OC, don't hesitate to max out the slider for the sections that say "power limit %" and "temp limit %". Doing this will push the card to it's max safety wattage draw, essentially it's free performance you might be missing out on with no downsides.

EDIT: You can edit your memory OC during gameplay to see the FPS difference.

Last edited: