Jun 25, 2020
MotherBoardRog Strix b360 g
Cpu i5- 8400 2.8ghz
Gpu rx 480 8gb
16gb ddr4 ram
500gb ssd
Windows 10
Psu 750w

I'm completely new to pc building and just picked up an old pc from a friend and i was wondering what could be causing the poor performance.
Any game i try running comes out very choppy. unable to hit 60fps even on lowest settings. if i turn up the settings too high the monitor goes black and the pc shuts down
Ive made sure all drivers are up to date as well as all apps and operating system

Solution
First are you plugged into the motherboard of video card output? If you are plugged into the motherboard you are runnin off the CPU integrated graphics, plug into the graphics card.

Next make sure that yoru CPU or GPU or possibly both are not thermal throttling. For your CPU you can use HWMonitor and for your GPU it is best to use the Radeon software.

Finally if you got the computer as is from him I would try a format and fresh installation of Windows, then make sure you grab the mobo drivers (chipset, LAN, Audio) as well as the latest video card drivers. DO NOT any of those gimmicky updater programs, they are all garbage bloat ware. Get the drivers from the manufactures

Mobo...
First are you plugged into the motherboard of video card output? If you are plugged into the motherboard you are runnin off the CPU integrated graphics, plug into the graphics card.

Next make sure that yoru CPU or GPU or possibly both are not thermal throttling. For your CPU you can use HWMonitor and for your GPU it is best to use the Radeon software.

Finally if you got the computer as is from him I would try a format and fresh installation of Windows, then make sure you grab the mobo drivers (chipset, LAN, Audio) as well as the latest video card drivers. DO NOT any of those gimmicky updater programs, they are all garbage bloat ware. Get the drivers from the manufactures

Mobo: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

GPU: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-400-series/radeon-rx-400-series/radeon-rx-480

Solution