Question New to PC gaming need help with a budget monitor

Jul 9, 2019
hi people im new to pc gaming and have just bought a pc with these specs

Processor (CPU) AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Eight Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.35GHz/20MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE: DDR4,
USB 3.1 -
RGB Ready Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive 512GB ADATA SU800 M.2 2280 (560 MB/R, 520 MB/W)

now i need to buy a monitor, but i am working on a tight budget, the 2 options i have been thinking about are

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-SE241...&qid=1562664831&s=gateway&sr=8-12-spons&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-Conso...teway&sr=8-1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

but if im honest i have no idea what im doing, the only games ill be playing are DOTA 2 and total war 3 kingdoms .

any help would be appreciated

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin? the UK

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.) Gaming

3. What resolution and screen size do you want? no idea

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.) no idea

5. How much are you looking to spend? as little as possible

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. ) no preference

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor? will want to buy 2

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable? no idea

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc). no idea

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display? primary

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop? no

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
I know you say your on a budget but that system really should be paired with a good 1440P/75hz/IPS monitor as it will look way better then that Zowie.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: Acer - Nitro VG240YU 23.8" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor (£189.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Total: £189.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-09 13:27 BST+0100

It also is Freesync so as long as you pair it with a Displayport cable and follow these instructions then it should work.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

Jul 9, 2019
hey thanks for getting back to me, i could probably stretch to that price, my PC will be arriving tomorrow and i dont have a monitor as of yet so was looking for a cheapish option that i could amazon prime so i would have a monitor ready for when my PC arrives.
in the future i plan to buy 2 27inch monitors, but will need to wait till my next pay day which is at the end of the month.

and being honest i have no idea what gsync or free sync even means

WildCard999

Titan
hey thanks for getting back to me, i could probably stretch to that price, my PC will be arriving tomorrow and i dont have a monitor as of yet so was looking for a cheapish option that i could amazon prime so i would have a monitor ready for when my PC arrives.
in the future i plan to buy 2 27inch monitors, but will need to wait till my next pay day which is at the end of the month.

and being honest i have no idea what gsync or free sync even means
At least for me it doesn't make sense to buy a cheap monitor now then a better one later on unless your planning on running a dual monitor setup. As for Freesync/Gsync it's a adaptive syncing hardware/software that matches the monitors refresh with the GPU's FPS so you don't get screen tearing and even if you get dips (as long as there within the Freesync/Gsync range) will keep it looking smooth.

There's actually a 31.5" version for a little bit more which would probably be better then that 24".

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: AOC - Q3279VWFD8 31.5" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor (£192.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £192.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-09 14:14 BST+0100

TRENDING THREADS