[SOLVED] New to PC gaming

Apr 24, 2020
I have been a long time console gamer but a lot of the guys i play with have been switching over and now i have the funds to finally do the same. I don’t really know much of anything when it comes to the technical terms of what i need, generally i play destiny 2 , cod, and other big title games i also am looking forward to what draws my attention on PC. With that being said i do need some help figuring out how to put this all together. My budget is 1000-1300ish and i would like my monitor and everything to be included into the budget (Not including desk and chair) . I constantly hear about how much better PC is so I would like to run fps and resolution higher then the console. Any advice is greatly appreciated because i want to get this ordered and start gaming!!!!
I am good with my hands and assembling things and following directions so im not sure if buying parts or buying a fully assembled one would be best depending on how involved it is putting the pieces together.

Last edited:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($152.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 8 GB MECH OC Video Card ($321.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Fractal Design X2 GP-12 (Black) 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: VIOTEK GN27D 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($269.99 @ Best Buy)
Keyboard: Redragon K551-N Wired Standard Keyboard ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Wired Optical Mouse ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Speakers: Logitech Z213 7 W 2.1 Channel Speakers ($28.99 @ Dell)
Total: $1297.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-24 12:22 EDT-0400

Solution

taseas

Distinguished
May 31, 2012
No reason to go with a Ryzen 5 2600. If you want to tighten your budget go with Ryzen 5 1600AF (same cpu as 2600).
Now, if I were you, I would go for at least a Ryzen 5 3600 (cause u need the high refresh rate and this Ryzen will help keep up the minimums).
For the GPU, either a 5600XT or a 5700 would be great. Even a 2060 Super if you find it for less than a 5700 (a bit hard). But that still depends on what games you play as in some games Nvidia is ahead and in others (most) AMD is ahead in that mid-range price segment.

One more note: do you really need to buy Windows 10 and antivirus? I mean if you have a spare laptop you can try to activate a key from there. Or ask a friend from university/college cause they give them some licenses for free.

I will try to compose a list with my thoughts completed. Let me know if you need to buy from a specific store or avoid some other stores etc.

Apr 24, 2020
I ended up going with the ryzen 5 3600 and the radeon rx 5600xt, the only reason i went with the windows 10 is i dont know how to get a key and dont want to get screwed when i goto fire it up..if you have other ways to do it or how to get a key from a existing laptop i am open to suggestions.

taseas

Distinguished
May 31, 2012
Windows literally need no key to install. You just have to hit button "SKIP" during installation and you can provide a key later. You will just have to live with a watermark in the bottom right corner until you activate. For the laptop thing, if you just happen to have any Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 laptop key you can use it for activating your windows. At least, that was in my case anyway. And it's not illegal as you literally have paid for that anyway.

Apr 24, 2020
So i dont need another fan with it? And also i have to be on wifi atleast for the time being that was why i chose the msi b450 atx unless you can recommend something different to obtain the same result and i want the ssd and the hdd?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/taseas/saved/6MXW3C

This is what I came up with. Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon 5700, 2tb hdd & 500GB nvme. I also included somewhat different peripherals but that's your choice anyway.
Does the ASUS board come with built-in support for Ryzen 3000 series? I see you need BIOS 1201 but does it ship with that? If not does it allow for BIOS flash without a CPU?

taseas

Distinguished
May 31, 2012
If it's newly manufactured yes. It doesn't support BIOS flashback tho. So you can ask the store to verify that it ships with BIOS 1207 or later. Pretty difficult if you ask me to get a board that is made before June 2019, they must have restocked multiple times so far. You can still ask from now (before buying anything) a BIOS upgrade kit directly from AMD and they will ship you a cheap Athlon CPU to upgrade your bios.

You don't need a cooler as it comes with a pretty decent cooler already. And your case should provide enough airflow.

As for the Wi-Fi, if that will be only temporary, just do yourself a favor and pick a TPlink usb dongle for 10 bucks, You may need it in the future for different PCs/friends if something goes wrong with their wired connection.