[SOLVED] New to PC upgrading - do I need a new fan?

Jun 28, 2020
Hi all.
I’ve started upgrading some of the components in my tower, but confused over whether or not I need a new fan as they all look the same online except for the price tag.
As a breakdown I’ve currently got the standard intel E97378-001 fan on:
  • Asus H110m-R motherboard
  • i3-7100 processor
  • 2 sets of 4GB ram
  • GeForce gtx 1050 gpu
  • Corsair vs350 power supply
Changing components to:
  • i5-7500 processor
  • 2 sets of 8gb ram
  • GeForce gtx 1660
  • Corsair vs650
I upgraded my bios the other day to accommodate the new cpu when it arrives. It was a freakishly hot day (30c) and my bios said the fan was only running at 1200rpm, with cpu at 40-45c.
Since the standard intel fan comes with a i5 PC anyway, and in my current setup the fans not even working at max rpm on the hottest day of the year, do I need to get a better fan? And if so are there any recommendations? I don’t want to spend silly money, would like to find somat in ebay for less than £20-£25.

Last edited:
Solution
D
Cheers, I’ll have a look at this.
How do you know if it’s any good though? I’m looking on pcpartspicker and the coolers specs, and it runs at a lower rpm range than the standard intel 1 I’ve got.
Am I missing something in the specs? Or are you just going off people’s review of it?
RPM doesn't matter. The Intel stock cooler might as well be turned into an aluminum beer can, it'd be more efficient. The Deepcool Gammaxx 400 has copper heatpipes, a substantially larger heatsink and a more efficient, and quieter fan, despite the RPM.

My CPU cooler is running at 300 RPM while idle and my CPU is still under 30C.
Jun 28, 2020
Invest in a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 but make sure you have enough clearance in your case for it.
How do you know if it’s any good though? I’m looking on pcpartspicker and the coolers specs, and it runs at a lower rpm range than the standard intel 1 I’ve got.
Am I missing something in the specs? Or are you just going off people’s review of it?

D

Deleted member 2720853

RPM doesn't matter. The Intel stock cooler might as well be turned into an aluminum beer can, it'd be more efficient. The Deepcool Gammaxx 400 has copper heatpipes, a substantially larger heatsink and a more efficient, and quieter fan, despite the RPM.

My CPU cooler is running at 300 RPM while idle and my CPU is still under 30C.

Solution

KirinXHell

Reputable
Jun 27, 2020
Looks Ok to me, I too uses i5-7500. But if needed to, you can also just change to a better cpu cooler. (I use CRYORIG M9 for my cooler)
Below are the spec for mine.
XSv166b.png
gKrl1n4.png

TRENDING THREADS