Question New to powerline adapters…

Apr 3, 2023
Hello.
I’m about to purchase a powerline adapter kit

Netgear 1000Mbps Powerline Adaptor Kit PL1000
Unfortunately the apartment I am in is very low on wall sockets so the one nearest my modem is being used for a powerboard to plug all my other electronics in the room into.
I’m wondering if there is any kind of powerboard / surge protector that would work ok with a powerline plugged into it. Or do they strictly have to be plugged into the wall? Thanks

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello.
I’m about to purchase a powerline adapter kit

Netgear 1000Mbps Powerline Adaptor Kit PL1000
Unfortunately the apartment I am in is very low on wall sockets so the one nearest my modem is being used for a powerboard to plug all my other electronics in the room into.
I’m wondering if there is any kind of powerboard / surge protector that would work ok with a powerline plugged into it. Or do they strictly have to be plugged into the wall? Thanks
Directly into the wall outlet.

They make them with outlets. From the reviews this one does block the top ground.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV10...d1-a9b4-d142f0fba16b&pd_rd_i=B08M13B8B6&psc=1

Last edited:
Reactions: Mercury83
The reason the power line device plug directly into the wall is devices like surge protection might filter the signals coming from the power line unit thinking they are interference. In addition things like extension cords can act like antenna and pick up interfering signals.

Unfortunately powerline units tend to block both outlets on your wall plate. They do make powerline units that have a passthrough plug so you can plug the power line unit into the wall and then plug a power strip or something into the power socket on the powerline units.

The unit vary a bit from country to country since the power plugs might be different but if you search a bit you will quickly find units that have passthough power plugs.

Reactions: Mercury83
A couple of things you should consider, when using Powerline Adapters:
1. Depending on the brand you purchase, you may find that at the very least, the network performance is degraded, when installing the devices on differing electrical circuits. Some people, me included (I bought TP-Link AV1000) couldn't even get the network connection to establish, when the adapters were on differing circuits.

2. Your electricity consumption will dramatically increase (on average $30-$50). To put this into perspective, I have a Photovoltaic system and normally paid about $30 to the utility company just to be connected to the grid. I installed powerline adapters to connect an access point in my garage. The only device connected to the AP was a Cove camera, which was only accessed to ensure connectivity after power outage. My electricity bill went up to $65.

After learning of this increase in cost, I decided to just mount the AP in a different location and terminated my own patch cable to connect the AP to my router. In the en

A
2. Your electricity consumption will dramatically increase (on average $30-$50). To put this into perspective, I have a Photovoltaic system and normally paid about $30 to the utility company just to be connected to the grid. I installed powerline adapters to connect an access point in my garage. The only device connected to the AP was a Cove camera, which was only accessed to ensure connectivity after power outage. My electricity bill went up to $65.

Ethernet is always better but you would need to look more closely at your power bill. The av1000 units at maximum load use 2.7watts. That is less than 2kw/month and that assumes the device never drop to standby. Maybe it would cost $1 if you paid .50 per kw hour which is a very high rate. Many places in the USA are less than $.20/kwh

USAFRet

Titan
I have a hard time believing this.

There is something else going on.

A couple of things you should consider, when using Powerline Adapters:
1. Depending on the brand you purchase, you may find that at the very least, the network performance is degraded, when installing the devices on differing electrical circuits. Some people, me included (I bought TP-Link AV1000) couldn't even get the network connection to establish, when the adapters were on differing circuits.

After learning of this increase in cost, I decided to just mount the AP in a different location and terminated my own patch cable to connect the AP to my router. In the en

How many adapters were you running, they average 2w per adapter, thats probably around 2$ a year.