[SOLVED] New to Raid 0 - Not any faster?

brkorth99

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hello! I just recently bought two Samsung 970 EVO plus 500GB M.2 NVME drives and installed them on my MSI ZS170a M5 Gaming Motherboard. I have the lastes BIOS and Intel Rapid Storage drivers, I setup my Raid 0 with the Magice Genie that MSI provides. Everything is recognized and everything says that it is running in Raid 0, however CrystaDiskMark doesn't show even a slight increase in speed. What can I do to fix this?

Solution
Give us a screencap of what you see in CDM.

But even when/if you do see a big benchmark number, the user facing performance will not be a whole lot different than individual drives.
RAID 0 with SSD's does not stack performance like it mostly did with HDD's.

USAFRet

Titan

But even when/if you do see a big benchmark number, the user facing performance will not be a whole lot different than individual drives.

Solution

brkorth99

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015

Thank you for helping! Here is the CDM result along with Intel Rapid Storage info. I feel like I did something wrong because the read speed is a little slower then before I put the two in RAID.

View: https://imgur.com/a/tj2PLID

USAFRet

Titan
And using 2x 970EVO in RAID 0 for the OS drive is completely useless.
You'll see zero difference over individual drives.

Not sure what you did or didn't do to get to this result, but I would absolutely rethink this whole RAID 0 thing.

brkorth99

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
And using 2x 970EVO in RAID 0 for the OS drive is completely useless.
You'll see zero difference over individual drives.

Not sure what you did or didn't do to get to this result, but I would absolutely rethink this whole RAID 0 thing.

I can still return the drives and might do so. Is it better to keep my OS on a separate drive and just put my games on my RAID 0 setup? I don't mind going back to 1 drive, I am really curious as to why my speeds are so slow though. I