[SOLVED] New to RGB/ARGB

geddyme

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Hello Eveyone,

I could use some instruction. I’m building a new Win10 gaming PC, my first in 8 years and wow... things have changed! No surprise there I’m sure. lol.

I’ve been reading a LOT about RGB/ARGB/PWM/etc and it only makes me less confident that I know what I’m doing. I don’t want to ruin my mobo is my concern. I just want to control the lighting with Aura Sync, and have the CPU control the cooling needs.

My equipment. I’ll be reusing the three 1 TB SSD drives from my previous build. Everything else is new In mfg packaging, with ancillary cables and controllers for the fans and the cooler.

Asus Maximus XI Hero (WiFi) Z390 mobo With Aura Sync.
Enermax LiqMax III 360 AIO - ARGB Version (Aura compatible)
DeepCool CF120 case fans - 3 pack (X2 - 6 total fans) (Aura compatible)
Lian Li 011 Dynamic - case

GPU/ Asus ROG STRIX 2080 Super - Advanced
PSU/ Corsair RMX 750 Gold
CPU/ Intel I9-9900K

The motherboard has two RGB and two ARGB headers and headers for the water pump CPU fans and various others common to the 390 boards. Was hoping to get all nine fans and the water block working with Aura synch. Thank you in advance!!

Solution
When you use the RGB fan, it has two connector, one is go to the RGB header, other one is go to the regular 4-pin fan header. And for the RGB header, it can support up to 3Amp, so you are fine, but for the regular fan header, like cpu or cpu-opt header, they can only support up to 1Amp.

One thing, recommend to don't connect all 6 fans into the one RGB header, because you need to the head room, 6 fans will draw 2.88Amp in theory, but who knows they will draw more or not, and I think they will draw more if you run the fan in high speed or set the light brighter.
Because you have 9 fans with aRGB + the regular RGB, then you need to buy the Y splitter. Recommend to add three fans or 4 fans into each RGB head, keep in mind don't mix them, and check the fan specification too, because each RGB/aRGB head can support up to 3 Amp, check the manul page 1-23 and 1.24 for more info. I don't check what kind RGB each fan has. If you don't has enough aRGB head, you can buy other RGB convertor .

rgb convertor https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-rgb-convertor-black/p/1W8-00JK-00030

aRGB splitter something like this https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/argb-1-to-3-splitter-cable/

RGB splitter something like this https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/1-to-3-rgb-splitter-cable/

Reactions: geddyme

geddyme

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Because you have 9 fans with aRGB + the regular RGB, then you need to buy the Y splitter. Recommend to add three fans or 4 fans into each RGB head, keep in mind don't mix them, and check the fan specification too, because each RGB/aRGB head can support up to 3 Amp, check the manul page 1-23 and 1.24 for more info. I don't check what kind RGB each fan has. If you don't has enough aRGB head, you can buy other RGB convertor .

rgb convertor https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-rgb-convertor-black/p/1W8-00JK-00030

aRGB splitter something like this https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/argb-1-to-3-splitter-cable/

RGB splitter something like this https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/1-to-3-rgb-splitter-cable/

Firstly, thank you for your excellent reply cin19!

Do I need to use one of your suggestions if I use the splitters that came with my CF 120 fans?

Each package has three fans, a four way splitter with 4 pin connections ( fan power and if so PWM? ), a 5 way splitter with 3 pin connections ( LED‘s? ) and came with the additional items you can see at this link, under ”Images” tab.

Link

Here’s my thought on connecting all this after reading your reply, and please tell where my mistakes are if you do not mind.

Enermax AIO Pump motor to “AIO_Pump” header as instructions indicate.

Enermax AIO Fan LEDS, 3 total @ .36A each and it’s Water Block LED @ .18A to an RGB header rated at 3A/12V. I might need splitter here? The AIO kit has just one 3 way Splitter for the 3 fans...

3 DeepCool CF120 LED’s @ .48 A to one A-RGB rated @ 3A/5V and the other 3 CF120’s to the remaining ARGB, again at 3A/5V.

The 3 AIO fans power to CPU_FAN header. It’s the nearest to the top of the case, where my AIO will live. Then connect 3 CF120 fans to CPU_OPT and the remaining 3 to CHA_FAN1 or CHA_FAN2. This way puts them all on Q-Fan controlled 1 amp headers.

Will all the LEDs work with Aura Sync being split between A-RGB and RGB headers? I’m not opposed to buying one of those proposed items, I Just want to be sure i understand a little better than I did when I originally posted.

Again, you’re response is much appreciated!

DJ

Any brand splitter should work .

Will all the LEDs work with Aura Sync being split between A-RGB and RGB headers?
Sorry I don't know. Check the manual and try it when you get these.

The 3 AIO fans power to CPU_FAN header. It’s the nearest to the top of the case, where my AIO will live. Then connect 3 CF120 fans to CPU_OPT and the remaining 3 to CHA_FAN1 or CHA_FAN2. This way puts them all on Q-Fan controlled 1 amp headers.
Check your manual page 1-18, the cpu_opt header or the cpu_fan can only support up to 1Amp, from you posted the 3X AIO fans or 3X CF 120 fans will draw more 1Amp, the fans will kill the the fan headers or the MB. Check the fans specifications carefully.

geddyme

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Thank you again Cin19!

Looking at the box for the DeepCool CF120 fans now...

Each CF120 fan’s rated current is .11 A and power consumption is 1.32 watts. I forgot to post that earlier. Total for 3 would be .33 A per header, am I missing something? I assume that’s the fan motor Itself?

Each CF120’s LED lights rated current is .48 A and each fan’s LED‘s power consumption is 2.4 watts. Total for 3 would be 1.44 A. I could actually put all 6 CF120’s on one 3 Amp A-RGB header and be under it’s 3A limit, at 2.88 Amps.

Each box of three fans comes with a device with five 3 pin connection points, that can be attached to a single 3 pin RGB or A-RGB header. That’s a splitter right? Each box also has another similar device, that has 4 pins to attach 4 fans motors to one of the fan headers?

Am I getting any closer to understanding this?

When you use the RGB fan, it has two connector, one is go to the RGB header, other one is go to the regular 4-pin fan header. And for the RGB header, it can support up to 3Amp, so you are fine, but for the regular fan header, like cpu or cpu-opt header, they can only support up to 1Amp.

One thing, recommend to don't connect all 6 fans into the one RGB header, because you need to the head room, 6 fans will draw 2.88Amp in theory, but who knows they will draw more or not, and I think they will draw more if you run the fan in high speed or set the light brighter.

Solution

geddyme

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Great and thanks again! I definitely understand it better now than before and for the most part that is due to your help!

I’ll split the 6 CF120 fans lighting between the two ARGB headers and put the waterblock lights and the AIO fan lights on a single RGB header. I’ll get nowhere near the 3A rating!

There’s enough fan headers to get that I don’t have to overload any of them. I’ll give it a go this weekend when I have time to do it right and most of all carefull!

Thanks again cin!