Info New to Ryzen? Hate the stock cooler buzz? Read this.

Feb 2, 2020
I spent quite a few hours fine tuning a Fan Curve ..

I am using a Ryzen 3600, so your temps may vary slightly.
But in regards to fan dB and RPM, these tips are still valid.

** Sitting directly next (1-2 ft) of my build, near head height

20% is silent .. and 45% was my personal (picky) tolerance.
At 45% my temps are 65 - 70c while gaming

Knowing those things ..

20% fan at 0 to 55c .. (idle, browsing)
45% fan at 55c .. (gaming)
60% fan at 75c .. (heavy use)
100% fan at 80c

Then set a temperature threshold in the bios for 80c
At max temp only, it will dial the boost clock and volts back
I found it to be running at 3.8 from 4 ghz .. a fair trade off.

This gives you a worry free, silent, and stable experience.

If you want to take this a step further ..
You can play around with some under volting
I recommend an offset of -25 mV to -50 mV

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
While I am a huge fan of Ryzen CPUs, I am much less so of the Wraith coolers. They are well built, but when under a heavy load, can be quite loud.

Thanks for sharing what worked for you. I would recommend being careful with under-volting. This can lead to unstable configurations.

Feb 2, 2020
@Ohio ..
Hyper 212 you say .. I have one!
But am leaving that mounted on my i5 2500k
Mostly to sweeten the pot ..
I am looking to trade/sell that, with 8GB DDR3, and motherboard
.. For a decent 240mm aio

@wildcard
I'm in the loft of a town home, heat rises unfortunately.
75 Fahrenheit, or 23 Celsius.

Last edited:
I had the same wraith stealth on my old cpu. With fan speed ramped up after overclocking, it was loud and whiney, but still a lower less annoying pitch than an intel stock fan.

I love how much quieter my arctic freezer 34 is.

prophet51

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
I found the stealth on the 2600 to be pretty quiet under 1000rpm which is fast enough most of the time(my 2600 doesn't get anywhere near its 87ppt limit though like the 3600 does).

g-unit1111

Titan
While I am a huge fan of Ryzen CPUs, I am much less so of the Wraith coolers. They are well built, but when under a heavy load, can be quite loud.

Thanks for sharing what worked for you. I would recommend being careful with under-volting. This can lead to unstable configurations.

I am using the Spire on my HTPC build, so far I haven't noticed anything but then again I haven't really had a chance to put my build through its' paces yet.

popatim

Titan
I recently built a system for my cousin with the wratih spire and a 2600x (cheap!) and an all core OC at 4Ghz the CPU got up to 74c. I thought maybe it was crappy paste so I cleaned and put some MX4 on instead and it only dropped 1c. replaced the wraith with an esports 33 duo and now the same CPU barely breaks a sweat at 57c

I spent quite a few hours fine tuning a Fan Curve ..
I also spent quite a bit of time on the fan curve of my 3700X and found the following pretty good to guide setting one.

First thing is find the highest fan speed that is tolerably quiet (it will probably depend somewhat on the case) and set it flat at that speed up to about 70C before ramping it up. That stops all the pulsing that happens when the processor boosts at low processing loads. When ramping it up, I don't let it get to really loud speeds until 85-90C, only getting 100% at 95C.

Fan speed above 75% doesn't seem to help, probably because the heat just can't get from the processor core into the fin stacks fast enough to do any good. But it does let you know things are getting toasty without alarms.

And do not undervolt Ryzen 3000 CPU's! Ryzen boosting depends on voltage headroom to boost to rated clocks and undervolting inhibits that. The result is it won't achiev and hold higher boosts for light, bursty loads which is exactly what gaming is all about. The result kills performance, especially the .1% lows which can introduce stuttering.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's mostly a matter of opinion. As in yours and yours alone. Cpus for the most part could care less about heat in normal operating ranges. 50°C - 70°C or thereabouts, is all the same. But not so to most ppl. They gotta have low, like it makes a difference.

So they get the biggest, baddest cooler they can cram into a case, just to get that extra 5°C. Which doesn't happen because they read all the reviews yet fail to realize that that only happens at maximum rpm. At the piddling rpm they generally run, temps are usually equitable to a far smaller cooler.

The only bonus is noise levels go down with better heat control.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
i had that Buzz but it Went away after a few weeks not sure why but not as loud as Before. hardly cant hear anyting now. if you want dead quiet though get a be quiet noctura or something.

Ha. I must say I was concerned when seeing load temps on 73 & 74. In the defense of some users, you must remember, it was not long ago that FX chips were considered to be on fire at 60 degrees.

I just read I think it was 70 was when they would throttle. So a lot of people remember that data. I'm one who is value minded on coolers. I might spend 20-30 dollars on a cooler, but I'm not intending to have a watercooling setup for example. But I do like lower temps.

In my case, I've got the Cooler Master MB511. Which is this one in case anyone is not familiar.

https://www.coolermaster.com/us/en-us/catalog/cases/mid-tower/masterbox-mb511/

In my case, I've got 3 120mm fans set as intakes. 2 on top for exhaust, and one in rear as exhaust.

I did have the 2 on top set as intake. When I had that setup, I was seeing 73-74 with a Wraith Prism on my new Ryzen 3600. Just changing the top fans to be exhaust was enough to drop the temps that much. But if the CPU would only touch 60 or 65 I'd be happier lol.

Lower end Ryzen parts are super easy to cool aswell, so even a hyper 212 or gamaxx 400 could be quiet and keep thermals decent.

My Ryzen 5 2600 at stock doesn't even break 60c under a pretty intense load with a arctic freezer 34 espoets 1. However, my case is loaded with fans.