New to ssd and hdd

ronixdlol

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017
Hey, so I've just got a new PC for gaming, and it has both an SSD and a HDD. So what I'm getting is I should have my OS (which I do) on my SSD and also my favourite games on it.

Should I change my program files and downloads from the SSD to the HDD then?

Solution
Definitely don't move program files, that may ah heck up multiple programs/apps. Definitely put My Documents especially things such as music, video and picture files that take up a lot of space onto the HDD. You can install games onto the HDD as well if you find you are running out of space on the SSD, I have games installed on both and I can't really see the difference when playing between games on one or the other.

Captaingadget

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
Definitely don't move program files, that may ah heck up multiple programs/apps. Definitely put My Documents especially things such as music, video and picture files that take up a lot of space onto the HDD. You can install games onto the HDD as well if you find you are running out of space on the SSD, I have games installed on both and I can't really see the difference when playing between games on one or the other.

Solution

ronixdlol

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017

Ah ok, thank you. Yeah I've been moving my documents and downloads (kinda fucked up my desktop though) but I was just kinda wondering about the programs. Thanks both of you :)

Captaingadget

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017

Just re-read your post and realise I may have misunderstood what you meant, I thought you were asking if you should manually move the program files folder from one drive to the other (don't!) but what you probably meant was should you install your programs onto the HDD. If that's what you meant then agree with jay, keep what you can on the SSD, games aside most programs don't need a lot of space anyway.