[SOLVED] New To SSD's

smdg

Commendable
Feb 3, 2019
Hello,I recently bought a Samsung PM851 128GB SSD,and i would like to ask some questions related to it,

1. What is the SSD TRIM Function? Is it necessary,what are its Disadvantages?

2. I have a MSI H61M-P31/w8 Which only has SATA 2 ports........Will this affect my SSD speed which requires SATA 3 ports?

Would love to know if there is something important related to SSD's that i missed,

Solution
SSD TRIM is a function that effectively clears away "junk" blocks of data that are no longer needed. So when a block is used up by data that is no longer needed, it is erased so residual "Junk" is cleared away, therefore not slowing down the drive.

Not using TRIM (which is usually enabled by default) can negatively effect the performance of the driver over time as those blocks aren't getting cleared. In other words, the junk isn't being collected and is just gathering.

Secondly, SATA II is limited to 3Gb/s whereas SATA III is double that, at 6Gb/s - so you're halfing your bandwidth and therefore technically halving the speed that your SSD can transfer data. But regardless as to whether you use SATA II or SATA III, the SSD will show...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
SSD TRIM is a function that effectively clears away "junk" blocks of data that are no longer needed. So when a block is used up by data that is no longer needed, it is erased so residual "Junk" is cleared away, therefore not slowing down the drive.

Not using TRIM (which is usually enabled by default) can negatively effect the performance of the driver over time as those blocks aren't getting cleared. In other words, the junk isn't being collected and is just gathering.

Secondly, SATA II is limited to 3Gb/s whereas SATA III is double that, at 6Gb/s - so you're halfing your bandwidth and therefore technically halving the speed that your SSD can transfer data. But regardless as to whether you use SATA II or SATA III, the SSD will show an excellent speed increase over HDD, just ideally it should be on SATA III for better performance.

Solution

smdg

Commendable
Feb 3, 2019

Secondly, SATA II is limited to 3Gb/s whereas SATA III is double that, at 6Gb/s - so you're halfing your bandwidth and therefore technically halving the speed that your SSD can transfer data. But regardless as to whether you use SATA II or SATA III, the SSD will show an excellent speed increase over HDD, just ideally it should be on SATA III for better performance.
Thanks a lot,That answered all my questions,

btw,Are there any disadvantages to using TRIM? i saw a post where someone claimed that his SSD got damaged due to it

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Not to my awareness. Ultimately it only clears away blocks that are no longer needed.
I would usually suspect damage was actually caused by another issue, and was more a coincidence with the timing.

Usually it's just enabled by default and can perform it itself in the background.

smdg

Commendable
Feb 3, 2019
Not to my awareness. Ultimately it only clears away blocks that are no longer needed.
I would usually suspect damage was actually caused by another issue, and was more a coincidence with the timing.

Usually it's just enabled by default and can perform it itself in the background.
Okays,thanks a lot