New to the community, I'm seeking some advice on gaming computer

Eganubis23

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hello my name is Jacob, I join the community today in search of advice on a new gaming pc I am trying to build. If you could please look over this build and give me some input.

I want to know if it would run diablo3, wow, starcraft2, the new upcoming elder scrolls, possible crysis3 on high to max setting. Also are these items worth it. is there better that I can substitute to save a few bucks.

CPU:Intel Core i5-2310 2.9GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Boost)- (179.99@ Newegg)

Motherboard:ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX Intel Motherboard-(52.99@ Newegg)

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3-(44.99@ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 500GB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive-(59.99@ Newegg)

Video Card: SPARKLE GeForce GTX 660 700023 (SX6602048MH) Video Card-(209.99@ Newegg)

Case:RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black-(84.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive:SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model-(15.99@ Newegg)

Total:$648.93

My price range is 600-650. for the tower

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Copying and pasting a shopping cart is damn near unreadable. You use 15 lines just to specify which processor you got, which is enough to tell us three different builds for three different computers.

Fix your formatting and I'll help.

g-unit1111

Titan
Do not purchase Raidmax anything - they are a really vendor to avoid as they make a lot of garbage products.

This would be better for $650:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.07 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.13 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($65.17 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $661.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-05 12:15 EST-0500)

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Raidmax is definitely not the best, but I'm sure there are worse out there. I went with Raidmax cases that included power supplies on my second and third builds, and one of my brothers actually used the case you want in his first build. The cases themselves do the basic job of a case, but there isn't truly anything exceptional about them. They are sturdy when all the panels are on and some of them look nice (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but that's about it.

In assisting my brother with his build (in the Smilodon case), I can say that the removable motherboard tray was a very nice addition. It made assembling his PC so much easier than my first two builds had been. However, and this is a bit of a reflection on Raidmax build quality, the tray and fold out portion of the case did have a little flex to them, and I do remember having a little difficulty getting the motherboard tray back in the side panel and the side panel folded back up into the tray one the motherboard, processor, RAM, etc. were installed. This was around 7 years ago, so Raidmax may have changed the design since then, but do be careful when you assemble everything if you stick with that case.

That said, knowing what I know now I will never again buy a case with a built in power supply and use the included power supply. I somehow got lucky and never had a power supply take down my PC (all three of my builds used power supplies that came with the case I used). Additionally, I am starting to acquire parts for my 4th build and have already purchased the Thermaltake Level 10 GTS when it was on sale.

I personally would recommend that you find a case you like that doesn't include a power supply (even if it is that same case as they sell a silver model and a black model w/o a PSU). Then you can get a good quality PSU for your case and not be throwing away an unused part.

I definitely understand that looks can be very important for some people when choosing a case for a build. Any case should be ok once you get all the parts in it as long as you aren't moving it or opening it up all the time. The more you move or open a case, however, the more the quality of construction comes into play.

Lastly, while I haven't personally had a PSU die on me, the PSU that came included in my brother's Smilodon case did go out on him. He actually got a nice load pop and a bit of smoke out of the PSU when it died. He was, however, lucky in that it didn't take any of his other components with it.

g-unit1111

Titan
That said, knowing what I know now I will never again buy a case with a built in power supply and use the included power supply. I somehow got lucky and never had a power supply take down my PC (all three of my builds used power supplies that came with the case I used). Additionally, I am starting to acquire parts for my 4th build and have already purchased the Thermaltake Level 10 GTS when it was on sale.

Yeah the power supplies that are included with cases are generally extremely poor quality. If you get a case with one you might as well remove the power supply included and use it as a paper weight. :lol:

I'm told Antec actually includes decent power supplies with their cases but I'm not sure how good my sources are.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

They're nothing more than another way to add markup and trick unsuspecting buyers into buying crap PSUs that must be replaced. The low end PSU market is absurdly unethical. The sellers know their PSUs are garbage, don't output the power they claim and won't last regardless of load. They just rely on having a steady supply of people who don't know better to keep them in business.

g-unit1111

Titan

Exactly and the worst thing is that no manufacturer is immune from this. Corsair is a manufacturer that I like and have a lot of respect for, then they make some crap low end power supplies themselves. Cooler Master frequently lies about their power supplies (Hardware Secrets discovered that the "Japanese capacitors" advertised on the box were actually made in Taiwan, among other things :pfff: ), and then there's just a lot of rebranded junk. Tom's did an article one time about cheap power supplies and discovered that one manufacturer sold theirs in a plain white box that was just marked "power supply". :lol: