[SOLVED] New to the forum - and a new PC!

Jan 9, 2020
Hi all,

This is my first post! I have been waffling over a new PC purchase for the last couple months, and researching to the point of my wife telling me to "just pick something already!" haha. After all that I landed on a budget Dell G5 (5090) with a 9100F and 1650 GPU. Very low specs, I know, but I'll be using this really to play older RTS games only (other than Total Warhammer 2, which I'm hope hope hoping I can run). Also will only be doing 1080p, at least for the foreseeable future. I got a screaming deal on it through work, and the small form factor will be nice for my house.

I've already got two 8GB sticks on the way to upgrade the memory (couldn't find the exact model to just get one additional stick, and wasn't about to pay the absurd dell.com price for it). I'm hoping to also mess around with the cooling a bit, though I need to see what everything looks like inside before getting to that.

Anyway, looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Tim

Mrgr74

Notable
Sep 2, 2019
Hi all,

This is my first post! I have been waffling over a new PC purchase for the last couple months, and researching to the point of my wife telling me to "just pick something already!" haha. After all that I landed on a budget Dell G5 (5090) with a 9100F and 1650 GPU. Very low specs, I know, but I'll be using this really to play older RTS games only (other than Total Warhammer 2, which I'm hope hope hoping I can run). Also will only be doing 1080p, at least for the foreseeable future. I got a screaming deal on it through work, and the small form factor will be nice for my house.

I've already got two 8GB sticks on the way to upgrade the memory (couldn't find the exact model to just get one additional stick, and wasn't about to pay the absurd dell.com price for it). I'm hoping to also mess around with the cooling a bit, though I need to see what everything looks like inside before getting to that.

Tim
Hi @timh18

1st off, Welcome to the Forums! We have members here that can answer just about any question imaginable. :)

2nd) Now I don't know about you, but the actual research for new parts, regardless if they are cutting edge or bargain bin, is almost as fun as the purchase itself, let alone once everything is up & running.

Lastly (for now) which RTS are you looking to get lost in? You the Star Craft type or AOE type? Your system will easily be able to handle the old(er) games and if you haven't already, I highly advise you to look at Company Of Hero's 1 & 2.

Again, Welcome!

Mrgr74

Notable
Sep 2, 2019
Hi all,

Tim
Hi @timh18

1st off, Welcome to the Forums! We have members here that can answer just about any question imaginable. :)

2nd) Now I don't know about you, but the actual research for new parts, regardless if they are cutting edge or bargain bin, is almost as fun as the purchase itself, let alone once everything is up & running.

Lastly (for now) which RTS are you looking to get lost in? You the Star Craft type or AOE type? Your system will easily be able to handle the old(er) games and if you haven't already, I highly advise you to look at Company Of Hero's 1 & 2.

Again, Welcome!

Jan 9, 2020
Hi @timh18

Again, Welcome!
Thanks so much! I agree, the research is often the most fun. As far as my gaming goes, AOE 2 DE for sure, probably some Starcraft 2 action in there also. I mentioned the Total War Warhammer 2, but if that doesn’t work I may fall back to Total War Shogun 2. I’ve never had a system capable of playing any of the Total Wars, so I’m excited to try them out. I will checkout your recos as well, thank you!

Mrgr74

Notable
Sep 2, 2019
Thanks so much! I agree, the research is often the most fun. As far as my gaming goes, AOE 2 DE for sure, probably some Starcraft 2 action in there also. I mentioned the Total War Warhammer 2, but if that doesn’t work I may fall back to Total War Shogun 2. I’ve never had a system capable of playing any of the Total Wars, so I’m excited to try them out. I will checkout your recos as well, thank you!
Here is a quick video of COH 1. Many an hour was wasted zoomed in at almost ground lvl during battles... Very enjoyable in my humble opinion.. COH 2 was very enjoyable as well and a must if you enjoyed the 1st game.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS