[SOLVED] New to this pc life, my temps. are way to high, need suggestions to fix

JOHN_yauri

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
my temps on my i7 6700k 4 cores is averaging 98 degrees Celsius
on my task manager performance tab my cpu speed is 3.18 out of 4.0 ghz base speed

main goal is to lower the temps

my cpu is i7 6700k and gpu is gtx 1060

i need suggestions on what to do to fix this problem, the more the better thanks,

Solution
on my task manager performance tab my cpu speed is 3.18 out of 4.0 ghz base speed

i need suggestions on what to do to fix this problem, the more the better thanks,

dangerously high temp.
if the cpu cooler fan is running properly the question is why isn't it keeping the chip cool. is the cooler correctly mounted? is the cooler heatsink clean? (is the rig clean?) is the case breathing properly?
is your cooler rubbish? (stock)

crackz

Commendable
Feb 27, 2018
That's too high temperature. I would turn off my PC at this point. You need to set fan control in bios or find a software like SpeedFan to manage the fan speed. It looks like your fan is running at 10% instead of 100%.
MAX temp for your CPU is 100 C, it's really cooking boy.

crackz

Commendable
Feb 27, 2018
I'd suggest to shutdown the PC, check the temperature in BIOS and look for the fan control settings. If you can't find it just use software like Speedfan.
Look for EIST (enhanced intel speedstep technology) or Speedstep in bios

Most likely - inappropriate cooler being used and improperly installed.

i7 6700k - doesn't come with bundled cooler. So if you're using Intel stock cooler for some low TDP cpu (i3 for example), then this cooler is inadequate for cooling 91W TDP i7 6700k. Also 98C most likely means cooler being installed improperly (bad thermal paste application, weak contact between cpu and cooler, broken fan etc.).

So get a better cooler. Hyper 212 Evo - is one inexpensive option for cpu cooler.

Reactions: JOHN_yauri

JOHN_yauri

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016

i7 6700k - doesn't come with bundled cooler. So if you're using Intel stock cooler for some low TDP cpu (i3 for example), then this cooler is inadequate for cooling 91W TDP i7 6700k. Also 98C most likely means cooler being installed improperly (bad thermal paste application, weak contact between cpu and cooler, broken fan etc.).

So get a better cooler. Hyper 212 Evo - is one inexpensive option for cpu cooler.

is the hyper 212 evo the same dimensions as the fan on my cpu> ?

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019

dangerously high temp.
if the cpu cooler fan is running properly the question is why isn't it keeping the chip cool. is the cooler correctly mounted? is the cooler heatsink clean? (is the rig clean?) is the case breathing properly?
is your cooler rubbish? (stock)

Solution