Threadripper 3970x
Motherboard - GIGABYTE TRX40 AORUS Master
PSU - RM850x
RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 256GB
CPU Cooler - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4
Case - Meshify 2 Compact
GPU - 1070 ti from prior computer

A few questions I have are

1. Does everything look compatible? The cooler is correct for this cpu and not the dark rock Pro 4?
  2. Will the case will fit the fan? I wanted as small of form factor as I could go.
  3. Do I need to buy extra fans to attach to the case like a 120 or 140mm or does that come with the case?

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Threadripper 3970x
Motherboard - GIGABYTE TRX40 AORUS Master
PSU - RM850x
RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 256GB
CPU Cooler - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4
Case - Meshify 2 Compact
GPU - 1070 ti from prior computer

A few questions I have are

1. Does everything look compatible? The cooler is correct for this cpu and not the dark rock Pro 4?
  2. Will the case will fit the fan? I wanted as small of form factor as I could go.
  3. Do I need to buy extra fans to attach to the case like a 120 or 140mm or does that come with the case?
Personally I wouldn't buy anything on NewEgg site that wasn't fulfilled by NewEgg. Your RAM is "ships from China". I wouldn't buy that.

jayleonis

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
When you get to 128GB, you really need to start thinking about ECC RAM, IMO.

never heard of that. just looked it up. do you think that is necessary here? the purpose of the build is to run a program which runs an algorithmic calcuation across a data set with a run time of 1 hour to 6 hours or so. Also is my cpu/motherboard compatible with that? the prices look similar

kanewolf

Titan
never heard of that. just looked it up. do you think that is necessary here? the purpose of the build is to run a program which runs an algorithmic calcuation across a data set with a run time of 1 hour to 6 hours or so. Also is my cpu/motherboard compatible with that? the prices look similar
ECC is useful/necessary when memory size gets large, and the criticality of a single bit error is unacceptable. ECC is standard on "server" systems. Your description of your usage, is "server like". I would go with ECC RAM.
I see that your motherboard has built-in WIFI. Is that something that you desire? For a "server", wired connectivity is usually preferred.
Your power supply has the required two supplemental power connectors for the CPU.

jayleonis

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
ECC is useful/necessary when memory size gets large, and the criticality of a single bit error is unacceptable. ECC is standard on "server" systems. Your description of your usage, is "server like". I would go with ECC RAM.
I see that your motherboard has built-in WIFI. Is that something that you desire? For a "server", wired connectivity is usually preferred.
Your power supply has the required two supplemental power connectors for the CPU.

Yeah I wouldnt be using the wifi. Is it a negative that its there? this board popped up on amazon as the most popular seller for the strx socket. Ideally I didnt want to spend more then 500ish on the MB anyways.

kanewolf

Titan
Yeah I wouldnt be using the wifi. Is it a negative that its there? this board popped up on amazon as the most popular seller for the strx socket. Ideally I didnt want to spend more then 500ish on the MB anyways.
It is a cost negative. You are paying for it but not using it. It looks like every Gigabyte TRX4 motherboard has WIFI. But the Aorus Xtreme has 10GE. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/TRX40-AORUS-XTREME-rev-11#kf That would be my choice.

Solution