[SOLVED] New To Water Cooling

CPY1234

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Hello, I am currently in the process of picking out parts for a new gaming PC and I am very interested in trying out liquid cooling. I love the look but I am not fully sure about all the components i would need to water cool a system. If someone would be able to help me out and provide some links for parts i would need it would be greatly appreciated. The case i have selected in my parts list can be changed if it does not work with certain water cooling loops. Any extra info you would like to share about liquid cooling would also be great.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TCsMf9

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: NZXT KRAKEN Z63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($248.35 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($168.67 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: NZXT H710i ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1738.14

Also feel free to let me know about any changes you would make to this parts list.

Thanks

Solution
Going to be honest, expected a custom loop build, not just a CPU AIO. Generally no issues of compatibility aside from the available radiator mounts in the chassis. Most are designed to fit generally in cases, otherwise they would be a mess to support.

Skip the arctic silver, it isn't even that good a thermal compound. Just has an old reputation, from the early 2000s. Noctua, Thermal Grizzly, Arctic (Not to be confused with Arctic Silver), and many others are better. But the Kraken will come with decent thermal compound anyway. If you want some paste to just have around. Arctic MX-4 is suitable for CPUs and GPUs.

Not sure I would invest in the Maximus Hero board unless really want to get the most out of the CPU when overclocking. You...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Going to be honest, expected a custom loop build, not just a CPU AIO. Generally no issues of compatibility aside from the available radiator mounts in the chassis. Most are designed to fit generally in cases, otherwise they would be a mess to support.

Skip the arctic silver, it isn't even that good a thermal compound. Just has an old reputation, from the early 2000s. Noctua, Thermal Grizzly, Arctic (Not to be confused with Arctic Silver), and many others are better. But the Kraken will come with decent thermal compound anyway. If you want some paste to just have around. Arctic MX-4 is suitable for CPUs and GPUs.

Not sure I would invest in the Maximus Hero board unless really want to get the most out of the CPU when overclocking. You can get a fully featured motherboard for far less.

Typically you want to buy memory in complete kits, should be a 4x8GB kit out there. Or just get a 2x16GB kit, easier to overclock and less stress on the memory controller.

CPU cooler is high priced, but if that is the one you want, go for it. There are plenty 280mm CPU coolers out there.

Solution

CPY1234

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014

Not sure I would invest in the Maximus Hero board unless really want to get the most out of the CPU when overclocking. You can get a fully featured motherboard for far less.

Typically you want to buy memory in complete kits, should be a 4x8GB kit out there. Or just get a 2x16GB kit, easier to overclock and less stress on the memory controller.

CPU cooler is high priced, but if that is the one you want, go for it. There are plenty 280mm CPU coolers out there.

Yes the AIO i have right now was what i was planning on using but now i am leaning towards doing a full custom loop. But i am unsure about how to go about that from which parts i need, which parts would be good, etc. So i am trying to get some info on that and where a good place to buy them would be. And the ram is a good point. i will change that. If you have nay info on how to do a custom loop and what parts i would need that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS