New Tom’s Forum Announcement & Feedback

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that box is a code box, if you edit your thread its now replaced your quotes with ICODE tags instead

after a little testing I see what key you are pressing. must be a shortcut built into xenforo
Tilde key

test for example

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Anyway to get forums to show these files as movies instead of static files?

the photo box gives a Something went wrong error

Media just shows a static image, still need to click it to get the cat to move

media cut

if it appears to be a grey box, yeah.. i don't know, sometimes it shows a cat in above box and sometimes it goes, nope
Well, one option would be to link it as video but catch is that autoplay is disabled within forums, which i prefer.

If the autoplay would be enabled and when i open a topic that has video in it, that video would start playing as soon as page loads, blasting whatever sound it has in it through my speakers/headset.
2nd issue with autoplay is that when the video (media) would start playing as soon as page loads, by the time i reach that video, it could be at half way or already ended.

To get your cat moving, convert the video to *.gif since latter has autoplay enabled within forums.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Appreciated. They seem to have resolved on my end over the last 10 minutes or so.

Is there "an official mechanism" for reporting issues with the forum to staff? If there is, I don't know what it is.

Just use the report post button, Mods will see it and relay the issue, or try to post in here (forum feedback). Worst case email community@tomshardware.com

Generally there are enough moderators around when the forum goes out completely we have already seen it so you don't need to really worry about that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
NIce to see a new Home page design...

One thing, if you click the home link on forums, it uses same tab to load home page... but if you use forums link on Home page, it creates a new tab? anyway it can be the same reaction?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
When using a browser on a PC, it doesn't permit using the extra width available. There's a fixed amount of width for the main data, about half that width on the left and the right for advertisements that don't scroll . . and anything beyond that is left blank, rather, than, say, the main area stretching.

ie: on my screen (38", 3840x1600):
  • Main story - approx 6 inches wide
  • ads and links to other stories on the right of main - approx 3 inches wide
  • non-scrolling ads to the left and right of the two sections above - approx 3 inches wide
then blank outside of that.

However, resizing the screen horizontally only expands the blank sections, rather than the main center area.

I get that a more vertical orientation is good for mobile devices, but the inability to use extra horizontal real-estate if the user expands the browser window seems somewhat too mobile-centric.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I suppose a lot of sites use similar templates.

Still, I can't imagine that doing something like setting the outer layers to some fixed number of rems of width, and the main area to fill the rest, would be a huge stretch for web development.

(pun fully intended)

Feedback on the new Home Page layout.

I've been a member here for years ( '08 I believe is when I "registered" for the site) and I must say change is hard but the change that really gets my goat is the loss of article links on the left side of the Home page. OK, Before you go and say it is on the right side, when I came on last night and saw the major change I was very disappointed because while there are article links there some were repeats from the top. Not cool.

Being a mechanic and a PC enthusiast one must take president and that is the one that makes the money and that is not being a PC enthusiast so time to keep up on new hardware and software is at a premium for me, and many others BTW. Not having a section with all new/yesterday's articles will cause me to not come to a site that I have patronized for years, I could keep up quickly before, but now I really dislike the system.

I actually stopped using the forums when the most recent change went through on the forums because it was confusing after a long day of rebuilding cars and trucks.

So to be perfectly clear on what my issues are with the new changes "Stop moving things and/or breaking them" because time is precious for both the consumers and article contributors. Time equals money, if it take more time to keep up because of changes in a site I will happily go to other sites that are quicker to find all the articles in one easy convenient place. Yes I am aware of the fact this is not the parent company and I will not visit any of the parent company sites. This will, just in advertisements revenue, put a dent in a wallet because I am not the only one that feels like this.

To be frank, the site looks like my 11 yr old put it together. Bland, nothing eye catching other than a bunch of boxes slapped together on a scroll able page. Some extra brain storming may be warranted next time a site remodel.

Last edited:
Reactions: CompuTronix

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
A few things that definitely fall under fairly major gripes:
  • Article paging - yes, it's "usual" compared to other sites generally, but that's not a good thing. Especially with reviews, when I want to go to a specific page (ie: Gaming at 2560x1440, or Noise and Temperatures) I have to guess which page it is.
    • Corollary, having those links (with each page's individual description) at both the top and bottom was very convenient.
  • Bullet points are now . . not bulleted. They are considerably harder to read because it's difficult to distinguish at times what's simply a line overflow, and what the next actual point is. The "Our Verdict" box is a good example

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Whoops - well, either the "go to page" droplist with the titles of each page has been added in, or, I was a putz and completely missed it. Either which way, glad it's there!

If it was added back in, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.