New Tom’s Forum Announcement & Feedback

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You guys REALLY need to put a prominent link to the forums on the front page of Tom's. I spent over 5 minutes looking for it. This is a quick way to lose interest and discourage anyone from joining forums.

If it wasn't for google searches, I wouldn't even know you guys were here.
Its literally in the top bar of the site, right next to where it says "Tom's hardware" the last link. Other than putting flashing lights on it I don't know how we could make it any easier

Its literally in the top bar of the site, right next to where it says "Tom's hardware" the last link. Other than putting flashing lights on it I don't know how we could make it any easier

Try shrinking the window so it's not full width. It disappears with no clue or hint that it's there.

One other minor thing: Sometimes I see news post and I would like to comment on them, but there's no forum link at the bottom of the post to comment on it. It's a minor suggestion, but one that will generate feedback as to what people are interested in.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Try shrinking the window so it's not full width. It disappears with no clue or hint that it's there.

One other minor thing: Sometimes I see news post and I would like to comment on them, but there's no forum link at the bottom of the post to comment on it. It's a minor suggestion, but one that will generate feedback as to what people are interested in.

There is only so much you can expect a web site to do to accommodate low resolution. I have run this site on a tiny Chromebook screen and you can still see the link. Sure if you shrink it small enough you will push the link out, but considering that link has been like that for a couple of years and this is the first time I've ever seen anyone complain about it, i just don't see this as an issue.

As for article comments this feature is being worked on and will be returning shortly.

There was a short period of about 4 hours earlier today where the forums were not available, it is possible you tried to get in at that stage. None of us could either.
Like I said, this happened yesterday, not today. However my account is set to Pacific time, which may affect how each of us sees the time period it happened.

I knew something was up when I didn't see any posts from anyone else during that period though. IsItDownRightNow.com showed the site as accessible for everyone though, so I figured it was just more maintenance, despite no details on the site about login being temporarily offline.

There is only so much you can expect a web site to do to accommodate low resolution. I have run this site on a tiny Chromebook screen and you can still see the link.
As a counterpoint, I normally run at 1080p. But I frequently resize my browsers to be smaller so i can keep track of multiple things going on in other windows while I'm browsing. So it's not just a low resolution thing. Right now it seems to expect your browser to be at least about 1280 pixels in width before "Forums" shows up. I was OK with websites moving from 640 px to 800 px to 1024 px as a target width. That's a little more than half my screen width.

But 1280 px is 2/3 of my screen, and a bit excessive IMHO. I mean the forum posts themselves are auto-formatted so you can't make the text wider than 900 px. Right now I have my browser sized so "Forums" shows up in the menu, and while I'm editing this post (the editor is apparently auto-sized to 700 px) about half my browser's width is wasted space due to the incongruity of the edit window width limit vs the width needed for "Forums" to appear. IMHO having the extra menu options scroll over onto a second row would be a better solution that simply having them disappear.

That said, I understand this is a fairly low priority issue relative to a lot of the other problems that have cropped up from the site redesign. The folks working on the site are aware of the issue. So there's little point repeating it unless something about it changes. We're wasting their and our time arguing about it amongst ourselves. (Speaking of which, some sort of searchable bug tracking database would be nice. Maybe that's a bit too much to ask for what's essentially a one-time transitional period. But as I understand it, TH is now owned by Purch, who also owns a bunch of other sites. So if they could set up one bug tracker for all those sites, with each site being its own separate "product" for the purposes of bug tracking, it would be helpful for searching if an issue has already been reported, and providing updates for changes/fixes to old issues.)

As a counterpoint, I normally run at 1080p. But I frequently resize my browsers to be smaller so i can keep track of multiple things going on in other windows while I'm browsing. So it's not just a low resolution thing. Right now it seems to expect your browser to be at least about 1280 pixels in width before "Forums" shows up. I was OK with websites moving from 640 px to 800 px to 1024 px as a target width. That's a little more than half my screen width.

But 1280 px is 2/3 of my screen, and a bit excessive IMHO. I mean the forum posts themselves are auto-formatted so you can't make the text wider than 900 px. Right now I have my browser sized so "Forums" shows up in the menu, and while I'm editing this post (the editor is apparently auto-sized to 700 px) about half my browser's width is wasted space due to the incongruity of the edit window width limit vs the width needed for "Forums" to appear. IMHO having the extra menu options scroll over onto a second row would be a better solution that simply having them disappear.

That said, I understand this is a fairly low priority issue relative to a lot of the other problems that have cropped up from the site redesign. The folks working on the site are aware of the issue. So there's little point repeating it unless something about it changes. We're wasting their and our time arguing about it amongst ourselves. (Speaking of which, some sort of searchable bug tracking database would be nice. Maybe that's a bit too much to ask for what's essentially a one-time transitional period. But as I understand it, TH is now owned by Purch, who also owns a bunch of other sites. So if they could set up one bug tracker for all those sites, with each site being its own separate "product" for the purposes of bug tracking, it would be helpful for searching if an issue has already been reported, and providing updates for changes/fixes to old issues.)
Just to add to this, my 1200p Portrait displays don't expose the forum link either. I have to drag window on to my landscape display. I agree it's hardly a priority issue, but it is annoying. Particularly given that the "Raspberry Pi" link still appears in either orientation. Does anyone ever use that one?!

randomizer

Champion
Particularly given that the "Raspberry Pi" link still appears in either orientation. Does anyone ever use that one?!

That's just because it is in the first four links. Anything beyond the first four links (except the search and currently non-existent user menu) will disappear when the window size is below the threshold to display all of them.

htelectrical

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
I don't know why they're not posting links and frankly I don't really care. I am only interested in proper comments integration.

Mar 26, 2019
rhysiam said:

@Johnny5 above:
I wholeheartedly agree. So why can't we comment on articles when the fix seems so simple? Am I missing something?

FYI -> I'm writing this not to whinge or complain, but because I care about this site and I find myself coming here less and less simply because the opportunities for discussion are all but gone at present.

Unfortunately the fix is not so simple. What I can do is pass your feedback along to our editorial teams. Hopefully you'll start to see more links to comment threads!

Loving the links, comments all of it.:rolleyes:💩

That's just because it is in the first four links. Anything beyond the first four links (except the search and currently non-existent user menu) will disappear when the window size is below the threshold to display all of them.
Which is precisely my point. If some users are missing out on the "Forum" link, why not put it earlier in the list so it's less likely to miss the cut? Low priority though.

Mar 26, 2019
Loving the links, comments all of it.:rolleyes:💩
I know right. I've just been through all five of the banner articles and the thirteen news articles which appear on the website at the time of writing. With the exception of the two "Best deals..." articles which have linked comments courtesy of the legacy system, not a single article has a linked comment thread.

Community feedback and discussion is effectively dead at Tom's Hardware.

Hopefully this changes sometime soon, but it's only gotten worse since people started raising these concerns months ago. :coldsweat:

Last edited:

htelectrical

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
I know right. I've just been through all five of the banner articles and the thirteen news articles which appear on the website at the time of writing. With the exception of the two "Best deals..." articles which have linked comments courtesy of the legacy system, not a single article has a linked comment thread.

Community feedback and discussion is effectively dead at Tom's Hardware.

Hopefully this changes sometime soon, but it's only gotten worse since people started raising these concerns months ago. :coldsweat:
I've had it with Tom's. especially the RUDE unprofessional comments from Mods and Staff!!!!! I don't need this site, but the site DOES need consumers like me and you or they would not exist! I can and have gone elsewhere!

Wouldn't it be more sensible to edit the layout and include Forum in first four links instead of answering the same issue over and over again for months.

Edit: Not saying this in context to any particular mod. As mods of this forum have been answering this same issue multiple times since the change in forum layout.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Mods aren't the ones who have the power to change any links around. We just the layer between users and staff, we try to keep forums running smooth, all we can do is try to keep everyone happy. Design isn't our responsibility.

So yes, same answer for 4 months, so good chance this is on a list of fixes. Users not only ones who made suggestions, so that list is getting pretty long. Adding links to comments is also high on list, but I don't have any more idea of when that will be than you do.

Mods aren't the ones who have the power to change any links around. We just the layer between users and staff, we try to keep forums running smooth, all we can do is try to keep everyone happy. Design isn't our responsibility.
Yes we know that it is not in mods. in control and mods are only our medium to put forward the complaints and recommendation from other members using this forum.

Point is instead of answering this many times pushing its priority levels up so that it can be solved as soon as possible was more suitable action. Possibly you guys did push its priority up but changes and updates are takings way longer than expected that is the reason people are getting little impatient.

Colif

Win 11 Master
There were unplanned problems last month that may have delayed the progress of promised features but hopefully those are fixed now.

I am just as impatient for some things to be fixed but it was a big move bringing us off the old software to this new platform and there were teething issues. It will get better

we aren't ignoring your suggestions :)

Which is kind of odd because I'm pretty sure this issue predates the migration by a long time and nobody complained about it before. 🤷‍♂️
From what mods have said, only menu options beyond the 4th one can disappear by themselves. I believe "forum" was the 4th menu option in the old site layout, so it only disappeared if the entire menu disappeared. The site redesign seems to have added a "product reviews" menu option (redundant because there is already a main page section for reviews). That pushed "forum" to the 5th menu option, making it able to disappear. Later they added the "raspberry pi" menu option, pushing "forum" further to the right, causing it to disappear for a lot more people.

Anyhow, I was only thrown for a loop when it disappeared because my old forum link was www.tomshardware.com/forum. It resulted in a 404 error with the new site, and when I went to click on forum in the menu, it had vanished on my browser. The new site puts the forums in forums.tomshardware.com (which makes a lot more sense). And I see that they've added a redirector so www.tomshardware.com/forum now forwards you to forums.tomshardware.com. So they are in fact working behind the scenes to fix things.

randomizer

Champion
I know that the RPi link is relatively new, but I thought the Product Reviews link had been around for a while. Perhaps not. In any case it does make sense that if a redirect was not in place at launch then a bunch of people who had bookmarks or used browser history to find the forum would have suddenly needed to use that link.

Which is kind of odd because I'm pretty sure this issue predates the migration by a long time and nobody complained about it before. 🤷‍♂️
To be fair though, the old layout had comments integrated into every article and news post, the home screen had the list of recent forum posts and we had the "inbox" like section with a summary of responses to our forum activity. In other words, there were a plethora of ways to access the forum without needing the actual "forum" link. None of those avenues to the forum are currently integrated, so the hard-to-find and in some layouts inaccessible link is suddenly a much bigger deal.

"But that's the way it's always been" - is, IMHO, missing the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS