New Tom’s Forum Announcement & Feedback

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so after a while using the new forum i have noted one thing that bugs me. when you click on the main forum link, you get all the subforum categories listed. way over on the right side of each subforum is a single thread listed (i guess it's the most recent in that section). what bugs me is that it is so far on the right you can't read what the topic is. the names on the left take very little space and there is this large empty space between them. can that link on the right be moved some to the left? like maybe start it at the center of that line so can actually see what the topic is that it's linking to.

odd i know but for some reason this bothers me... lol

Colif

Win 11 Master
Thats a fair point and one highlighted by how it shrinks topic headers

MXCdr5D.jpg

I have noticed it but never thought, why not move the column across a little to left

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Is it possible to adjust the trophies that are displayed under each user in the forums, such that redundant trophies are not displayed?

For example, the trophies associated with your number of posts. I have 8 trophies displayed relating to how many posts I have (bronze, steel, ... , benefactor). IMO only the highest ranking one should be displayed (i.e. benefactor in my case). Same goes for the trophies related to number of likes and number of legacy best answers (possibly others as well).

I think this would make it easier for people to parse other's trophy lists (given that almost every has 4+ rows of trophies with the current system, I don't even bother trying to pick through them). It would also make the forum a bit more compact, as now there is a ton of white space at the bottom of almost every post because the comment space has to extend as far as your trophies do.

Edit: And I think the compactness point applies even more so now that the forum styles that allowed you to hide trophies was removed...

Last edited:
theme feedback should be in here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-forum-themes-share-your-feedback.3491131/

theme still a work in progress so maybe they can change text sizes and colours. I know Red will stay in some capacity as Tom's has been red for ever. I pointed out its hard to tell difference between completely unread threads and those you have interacted with but not replied to yet - they both red.

Dark reader and dark theme makes it look even more dark.
So can you just migrate our theme oriented comments over there for giving us late notice on that?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think they made the trophies show like that because although older members do have a lot of them, newer members don't. So rather than just show 1 per category, it shows all of them.
There are too many and suggested improvements have been made before, so maybe one day.

if they did as you suggested, and only had top lvl, not all, I would have 9 under there and not 25. It has been suggested they make them section specific so that it only shows trophies that apply to that section. I wouldn't mind choosing 5 from the list and hiding rest.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I was just told not to "Necro" a post and my comment was removed, I tend to stay offline and away from any sort of social sites in the first place, and quite frankly aside from modifying my post a few times I am unsure as to what I did or what necro even means.

Would someone mind filling me in?

I mean if that's what happens when I try to be as accurate and helpful as I possible can be...I simply won't bother to post here anymore.

More on topics I think when a post is removed it should leave a way to speak to the person who removed it, so I didn't have to do something like this and use plain English instead of Inter-slang so everyone knows why it happened. I work on computes and software, not social media. Sorry.

D

Deleted member 14196

necroposting is when you reply to a really old post. I've done it too, just need to check the post date of the latest post before yours first... and don't post in really old threads, if you have questions, just start a new thread

dead threads are necro threads, posting in them is necroposting... LOL

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Seems to me, if forum staff have a blanket policy of not allowing people to post on old threads, they should just lock them shouldn't they?

That would be nice except its not so simple to do, and with the millions of threads we have would be way too much manual work.

I think necroposting is discouraged on pretty much every forum, or at least any I've frequented.

The only forums I've ever seen where necro posting is not discouraged is on some forums I am on for very specific cars, where there are discussions on specific parts of that car. Since the car is obviously static and not being developed anymore, a discussion about its brake system from 10 years ago is very much still relevant.

D

Deleted member 217926

I'd be inclined to leave it if it was a solution to a problem that might still be valid. But when the summation is: "I have the same problem and I'm returning the part" in a thread that's 5 years old....well, I wasn't the mod who deleted it but I would have done it if I'd seen it first.

Please don't think I'm trying to pick on you or anything Hardly_Qualified723, because I'm not. I'm just trying to point out policy. In fact I'd encourage you to stick around. Just please check dates. :)

Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Actually I've been around for quite awhile under a really horribly chosen user name I decided to kill, and I don't intend on going anywhere honestly.
As I said, not really used to using the social aspect of things very often...and I do have to agree that my last post was irrelevant after realizing the thread was long dead.
To me, it's a 28 day new issue and it was the only forum that popped up on it in a Google search so I did neglect to check the dates before hitting the urban dictionary to figure out what I did wrong haha.

This is generally the only forum I'm involved with at all since building my first rig and getting some really good help for a newb who needed it and not just getting ignored due to the fact so sorry for the ignorance. I did think they would have auto closed old post's as suggested but I guess that's a bigger job than it seems.

I'll keep a closer eye on the dates. 👍

Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
On a last note (sorry), since I know one of the moderators actually went and read the deleted post.

I just went through all the possible trouble shooting I could find or think of...and honestly I wish that post had ended in my statement (four?) years ago, because it's still the answer. My Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 replacing my Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000 in the same slots, do not hum. Even with iCUE still installed and nothing to do lol.

I get why it was deleted...but if that answer had been there for me, it would have made my life easier...maybe you should prevent them from being bumped after so long rather than locking them?

Just a thought. I'm not gonna run this topic ragged after the last situation heh. See ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.