Question New Toshiba Hard Drive Problem

Feb 19, 2019
Hi evry one ,thank you for this webist i,m from egypt
In fact, I have a new Toshiba hard drive that has an annoying sound when playing and it starts all the time during playback, I tested hard on the HD tun program and this is a picture of the program.

Although the new hard, but the time of rotation is very large Is this a mistake of the company or what and what is the solution in that ...

Feb 19, 2019
Hard has no data because it is new but I want a special solution and it has no guarantee. But why is the value of the turnaround time so big and especially that it's new Is it a fault of the company?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As long as the values Spin Retry Count, Reallocated Sector Count, Uncorrectable Error Count and Reallocated Event Count are zero you kind of shouldn't worry about the drive's health. It won't hurt to check with other utilities too.

Utilities like CrystalDiskInfo or I like HD Sentinel more when it comes to reading HDD/SSD SMART and health status.

Sometimes these applications show off the chart values for some entries and it's not really like that. The temperature value is 9 digits and counting!

As hutchl said Toshiba drives are a bit noisy.

tony_parker

BANNED
Jan 15, 2019
Well, there could be various reasons for drive to become unresponsive or undetected. It can be a hardware issue or some technical glitch in the software.

Below are the few possible reasons for any drive being unresponsive:

1. Lot of bad sectors
  2. Infected File (Virus or Malware)
  3. Driver issue
  4. Mechanical failure

You can try the below options to resolve the issue:

1. Run CHKDSK
  2. Use an Antivirus & Anti-Malware tool
  3. Re-install the drivers

As you mentioned that it’s a new drive then I suggest you to have word with the seller & get it replaced with another one.

Feb 19, 2019
Well, there could be various reasons for drive to become unresponsive or undetected. It can be a hardware issue or some technical glitch in the software.

Below are the few possible reasons for any drive being unresponsive:

1. Lot of bad sectors
  2. Infected File (Virus or Malware)
  3. Driver issue
  4. Mechanical failure
You can try the below options to resolve the issue:

1. Run CHKDSK
  2. Use an Antivirus & Anti-Malware tool
  3. Re-install the drivers
As you mentioned that it’s a new drive then I suggest you to have word with the seller & get it replaced with another one.
What do you mean by drivers? Are there any drivers for the same hard model?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The drive seems to be healthy and OK. Drivers don't have anything to do with the noise the drive makes.

You said "a new Toshiba hard drive that has an annoying sound when playing and it starts all the time during playback". If you mean playing media (audio or video) if the files are on the drive it tries to read them intermittently and it's natural for a mechanical drive to have/make some noise. Some drives, as said before, are a bit noisier that others.

If the drive seems silent and starts spinning up during "playback" it maybe because your OS (Windows) Power Management is set to put the drive to sleep (stop drive from spinning) at certain intervals and when you try to access it, it 'wakes up' and starts spinning and that maybe the noise you're referring to? If that's the case you can change your power management settings (Advanced settings) so it doesn't put the drive to sleep (set 'Turn of the hard disk after' to 'Never').

If you want a storage drive with no sound at all you should get an SSD. They are totally silent.

Feb 19, 2019
The drive seems to be healthy and OK. Drivers don't have anything to do with the noise the drive makes.

You said "a new Toshiba hard drive that has an annoying sound when playing and it starts all the time during playback". If you mean playing media (audio or video) if the files are on the drive it tries to read them intermittently and it's natural for a mechanical drive to have/make some noise. Some drives, as said before, are a bit noisier that others.

If the drive seems silent and starts spinning up during "playback" it maybe because your OS (Windows) Power Management is set to put the drive to sleep (stop drive from spinning) at certain intervals and when you try to access it, it 'wakes up' and starts spinning and that maybe the noise you're referring to? If that's the case you can change your power management settings (Advanced settings) so it doesn't put the drive to sleep (set 'Turn of the hard disk after' to 'Never').

If you want a storage drive with no sound at all you should get an SSD. They are totally silent.
I do not activate the power and sound mode in the Wii console even if the device is open only without any media. The sound also appears for two minutes and then disappears and then appears after five minutes and so on. If I bought a hard SSD system and made this storage hardFor storage, you will also hear voice while browsing online؟​

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
HDD are constantly moving on the inside when you do things on your computer, and i mean anything. The drive has to use its read/write heads which is the noise you are hearing. The drive is normal and performing as expected. Stop worrying about the sound.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019
HDD are constantly moving on the inside when you do things on your computer, and i mean anything. The drive has to use its read/write heads which is the noise you are hearing. The drive is normal and performing as expected. Stop worrying about the sound.
Thank you very much for your cooperation and I have to get used to this sound

When idle, many (all?) drives perform background media scans.

The raw value of the Spin-Up Time attribute is 0x00300B600B5. I believe this hexadecimal number consists of 3 parts, 0x0003, 0x00B6 (182 decimal) and 0x00B5 (181).

The temperature values appear to be ...

0x00000E120012 = 0x000E (14C), 0x12 (18C), 0x0012 (18C)
0x0028000C0012 = 0x0028 (40C), 0x000C (12C), 0x0012 (18C)

I suspect that the first set of values may be the min/max/current temperatures for the current power cycle, while the second set may reflect the min and max temps over the life of the drive.

Feb 19, 2019
When idle, many (all?) drives perform background media scans.

The raw value of the Spin-Up Time attribute is 0x00300B600B5. I believe this hexadecimal number consists of 3 parts, 0x0003, 0x00B6 (182 decimal) and 0x00B5 (181).

The temperature values appear to be ...

0x00000E120012 = 0x000E (14C), 0x12 (18C), 0x0012 (18C)
0x0028000C0012 = 0x0028 (40C), 0x000C (12C), 0x0012 (18C)
Thank you for this simple illustration.
In your opinion, are these values too high to make this disc issue this sound or has to do with the age of the drive!
I suspect that the first set of values may be the min/max/current temperatures for the current power cycle, while the second set may reflect the min and max temps over the life of the drive.