[SOLVED] New ultrawide monitor

Aug 10, 2019
Hello. I am in the market for buying a new monitor, and I'm thinking that I will go with ultrawide.
I look at MSI Optix MPG341CQR and LG 34GK950F, because that compar to the other, they are 144hz with hdr.
I have nvidia 2070s graphic cards, and I like to use g sync or adaptive sync, so what the difference between the two?
Should I choose a different monitor or which of the two should I buy?
Thabk you.

Solution
I agree. I think it likely has the better panel too. I just got a 32" LG 1440p panel about a week ago and I couldn't be happier with it. It's not an ultrawide, but it's a 32" model and everything about it is spot on. I have seen very few LG monitors that weren't simply very cheap entry level models that didn't get very good reviews.

The one thing I'd be concerned about though is your single 2070 being able to push all those pixels. If it was a standard 1440p display then I wouldn't be concerned, but we're talking 1,267,200 more pixels than a standard 2560x1440 display. That's like about 25% more pixels. You may have to be flexible with your expectations when it comes to what settings you're going to be capable of running. It's...
I agree. I think it likely has the better panel too. I just got a 32" LG 1440p panel about a week ago and I couldn't be happier with it. It's not an ultrawide, but it's a 32" model and everything about it is spot on. I have seen very few LG monitors that weren't simply very cheap entry level models that didn't get very good reviews.

The one thing I'd be concerned about though is your single 2070 being able to push all those pixels. If it was a standard 1440p display then I wouldn't be concerned, but we're talking 1,267,200 more pixels than a standard 2560x1440 display. That's like about 25% more pixels. You may have to be flexible with your expectations when it comes to what settings you're going to be capable of running. It's certainly no where near as limiting as 4k, but it's definitely a significant leap from a normal 1440p display and you will likely need to either sacrifice FPS or settings.

On a positive note, that LG monitor is verified to work perfectly with G-sync, so you should have no issues to deal with there. A very good model, so long as you are aware of the increased demand it's going to put on your hardware.

Solution
Aug 10, 2019
Maybe in the next year we will see some graphic cards for mainstream that will handle that resolution better. But for now rtx 2070 super is good enough for me.
Thank you.
So from all the ultrawide, the best one to get is the lg 34GK950F?
In some reviews they say that for dark room a va panel like the msi is better, what do you think?

Sorry, I missed the fact that you have a Super edition. That card obviously has better performance than the regular 2070 so you should have a little more breathing room than with the standard 2070. It makes it a slightly better situation. As far as having graphics cards that handle higher resolutions better with higher settings, we do have them in the 2080, 2080 Super and 2080 TI, but of course they are expensive as well.

Yes, if you use this in a primarily dark room then an IPS panel is not the way to go because you are going to have some issues with IPS glow like all IPS panels have.

Do you honestly NEED an ultrawide? Because if not, THIS is probably one of the very best 1440p displays you can get right now at any price, especially if you need it to have G-sync compatible Freesync.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/510553/lg-32gk650f-b-32-quot

https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GK650F-B-Monitor-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B07FLGR2PN

Reactions: Pcps1854280
Monitors are definitely one of those things that are really down to personal preference. That's why we almost always say "Go to the store". Find the model you are interested in at a store location somewhere if possible and try to get an actual feel for the size, required distance, color, glow or backlighting, etc. before you buy. Otherwise, you're pretty much left with just going off other people's preference which might not be the same as yours, or using only professional reviews as a measuring stick.

I understand. There are few stores to be able to do that near where I live either. I just recommend it for people who do live near places like Microcenter or Best Buy or Fry's. Places that do sell them.

I think your only real concern with that monitor is going to be the IPS glow if you're using it in a dark room but there seems to be disagreement from one site to the next about the severity of the IPS corner glow so it may likely depend on your settings and calibration and may vary from panel to panel. I still agree that it's a good unit and since it has some amount of control of the backlight level you can likely adjust that to minimize as well.

alex-dk

Honorable
May 25, 2015
Given the 2070 super and 2080 are roughly the same you have the power you need for a pleasurable gaming experience. I judge this from my own ultrawide gaming on a 2080. Personally I rather have a bit better graphics and fall to around 100 fps than lower and stable 144hz.

I want to ask you if you intent to use a second monitor, and how much of the time in from of the computer you will be gaming.

I too thought about going ultrawide but ended up super ultrawide (32:9) because it gave me the ability to have 2 16:9 monitors running at the same time outside gaming (or when games only support 16:9). This is not something I have regretted at any point. If I had the 21:9 ratio monitor I would feel like I still needed a second one for youtube, twitch, etc.

I don't know a lot about monitors, all I can tell you is about my own experiences. The Samsung CRG90 can be split into different monitors and when games only support ultrawide I run a 21:9 monitor on one side and a 11:9 on the other for other stuff. Then when the games do support 32:9 I run that.
But don't go for a bigger monitor and compromise. I went from 2x24"1080p 60hz so I didn't care if I got 144hz or 120hz, I wanted the real estate and an improvement. If you feel like you enjoy games more at 144hz and unlike most people can actually tell a difference between 120 and 144 then perhaps just go for ultrawide. If 4ms response time is too much then don't go for one of those.