Question New upgrade to i9 9900k

Feb 28, 2020
Hi Everybody! I just got a 9900k from my brother for my birthday and I'm going to upgrade my i7 3820 processor. Of course I already bought everything else that i require, so in terms of compatibility and cooling, I think I'm ok. What should i expect? Is there anything I should do to get the most out of my new processor? What's about to improve and what should i focus on? I'm pairing it with a Maximus XI Hero, a Noctua NHD15, an RTX 2070 and 32gb DDR4. I'm a heavy gamer. That's the main purpose of this PC. Thanks in advance!

Phaaze88

Splendid
Ambassador
What should i expect?
A hot processor - no joke. Don't even try to overclock - you need an AIO for that, so go straight for a 360mm AIO.
The NH-D15 will be ok at stock only, unless you have a fancy all glass case or something...

Is there anything I should do to get the most out of my new processor?
No, but don't overclock it with the current cooler; leave it at stock operation.

What's about to improve and what should i focus on?
Between 15-31% uplift, and a hot processor... and I mean hot.

Not sure if Asus still defaults MCE in the BIOS to enabled, but, I'd leave it off(disabled) in the BIOS until you see what your typical at-load temps are at 4.7 GHz.
(The last Asus Z390 I worked with seemed to want to use VERY miserly power settings, only clocking 3.8 GHz or so on a 9700K on all-core loadings, with MCE on, despite temps being quite low in the mid 50's...; I simply set it to what I considered 'factory' settings within XTU, 1 or 2 cores at max turbo, 3-4 cores busy -100 MHz, and so on, scaling down to all cores at 4.6 GHz... Using default settings everywhere (XMP RAM to 3200 MHz) the NH-D15 at load was about 65C, so, adding 100 MHz to clock speeds, maybe your temp increases will be minimal with luck!

Reactions: Fate05

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS