[SOLVED] New upgrade to i9 9900k

Feb 28, 2020
Hi Everybody! I just got a 9900k from my brother for my birthday and I'm going to upgrade my i7 3820 processor. Of course I already bought everything else that i require, so in terms of compatibility and cooling, I think I'm ok. What should i expect? Is there anything I should do to get the most out of my new processor? What's about to improve and what should i focus on? I'm pairing it with a Maximus XI Hero, a Noctua NHD15, an RTX 2070 and 32gb DDR4. I'm a heavy gamer. That's the main purpose of this PC. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Not sure if Asus still defaults MCE in the BIOS to enabled, but, I'd leave it off(disabled) in the BIOS until you see what your typical at-load temps are at 4.7 GHz.
(The last Asus Z390 I worked with seemed to want to use VERY miserly power settings, only clocking 3.8 GHz or so on a 9700K on all-core loadings, with MCE on, despite temps being quite low in the mid 50's...; I simply set it to what I considered 'factory' settings within XTU, 1 or 2 cores at max turbo, 3-4 cores busy -100 MHz, and so on, scaling down to all cores at 4.6 GHz... Using default settings everywhere (XMP RAM to 3200 MHz) the NH-D15 at load was about 65C, so, adding 100 MHz to clock speeds, maybe your temp increases will be minimal with luck!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What should i expect?
A hot processor - no joke. Don't even try to overclock - you need an AIO for that, so go straight for a 360mm AIO.
The NH-D15 will be ok at stock only, unless you have a fancy all glass case or something...

Is there anything I should do to get the most out of my new processor?
No, but don't overclock it with the current cooler; leave it at stock operation.

What's about to improve and what should i focus on?
Between 15-31% uplift, and a hot processor... and I mean hot.

Not sure if Asus still defaults MCE in the BIOS to enabled, but, I'd leave it off(disabled) in the BIOS until you see what your typical at-load temps are at 4.7 GHz.
(The last Asus Z390 I worked with seemed to want to use VERY miserly power settings, only clocking 3.8 GHz or so on a 9700K on all-core loadings, with MCE on, despite temps being quite low in the mid 50's...; I simply set it to what I considered 'factory' settings within XTU, 1 or 2 cores at max turbo, 3-4 cores busy -100 MHz, and so on, scaling down to all cores at 4.6 GHz... Using default settings everywhere (XMP RAM to 3200 MHz) the NH-D15 at load was about 65C, so, adding 100 MHz to clock speeds, maybe your temp increases will be minimal with luck!

Reactions: Fate05
Solution