[SOLVED] New upgraded modem slower than old

Dec 27, 2019
So I got this fancy new netgear cable modem router combo (nighthawk ax8) hook it up call in the Mac address and it's getting half the speed of my arris cm820. Basically the equivalent of a flip phone compared to the nighthawk being a iPhone 11.

My provider is Zito Media.
I simply swapped the cable, no other devices were hooked up and no ethernet.
My internet speed is 100 mbps and I get almost 50 wifi 90 ethernet from the arris.
Only getting 22-25 (wifi - didn't test ethernet) from the nighthawk.
What other information do you need to help me figure out why it's getting half the speed of the old crappy modem?

I use primarily my phone. I didn't test anything with a computer. I do have a lot of devices connected via wifi.

Solution
You have to test the wired performance first. WIFI is too variable.
Next, set a separate SSID for 2.4 and 5Ghz. You need to verify that you are connecting to 5Ghz.
You may also have to tune the 5Ghz WIFI for best performance, but you should be able to get 100Mbit on the default settings. -- It is possible, that they configured the 5Ghz WIFI for 160Mhz channel width and your device doesn't support that.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
5Ghz vs 2.4Ghz?

5Ghz is great short range, but speed drops off rapidly.

Test ethernet just to make sure something weird isn't happening with it, could just be a malfunctioning unit. You'll want to see a full speed test. Call the ISP again if it can't achieve full speed. They may have provisioned it incorrectly.

The router itself may have built-in bandwidth sharing / throttling features to look into.

Dec 27, 2019
Thank you for answering. I was sitting right beside it when I ran the tests so that should be irrelevant but it's worth checking again.

As far as the provider they don't support non approved units so they're not helping me. If I call is that something they can tell me? The provisioned part that is. I know more about dsl than cable so I'm a bit out of my league lol.

kanewolf

Titan
Next, set a separate SSID for 2.4 and 5Ghz. You need to verify that you are connecting to 5Ghz.
You may also have to tune the 5Ghz WIFI for best performance, but you should be able to get 100Mbit on the default settings. -- It is possible, that they configured the 5Ghz WIFI for 160Mhz channel width and your device doesn't support that.

Reactions: TaroReadr
Solution
Dec 27, 2019
I don't use wired therefore I don't test it. The only thing I had wired before this modem was the router. I can't do anything during the week because of school and work but I can check out the other stuff you mentioned after 430 on Friday lol.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

TRENDING THREADS